Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Helices
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:42 pm 

This may be off-topic, but working through possible variations on the layout, a good modeling friend pointed out the value of a helix.

Honestly, using one would sacrifice lots of landscape (do you want detailed landscape there?) But, suprisingly not much yardage. (You can always deviate around things)

Now, the Question. I don't see much value in a double helix, do you?

I could use the "internal helix" to get to top and botttom, but nothing in between.

The outer helix could lead to staging/reverse areas.

How has anyone handled this?

Again, I'm looking for a sole-source solution for my trackage. Is this product up to delivery?

I have previously asked for what a "full meal deal" might mean in cost.

What if I purchased one of each artifact to build an extensive HO/HOn3 layout?

As complex as possible, with dual guage situations.

This brings me back to three questions:
1)Can it be done for any/all,
2)Which constructs can be provided on a regular basis,
3) what is the best "package" to purchase economically to do all of the above and more?>

-David

Post subject: Elaboration
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:31 pm 

Sorry, between rebuilding locos, constructing buildings, I'm busy and my previous questions probably were unclear.

Try again:
1) I have dual gauge trackage (Shinohara), are there limitations to these templates for dual-gauge trackage; that is, "is there something that cannot be done, or only with huge difficulty." I should "point" out I'm not expecting dual gauge double-crossovers or slip switches. I'm only a Sadist to my programing teams ;<)

2) "Constructs on a regular basis". Are the tie (and other) products readily available? Or, is there a wait time?

3) For example, doesn't a "dual curve of any radius" allow one of them to be straight?

I'm just confused by the myriad possibilities, and an X-Y map of jigs vs products would sure help.

-David

Post subject: Dual Gage Complexities
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:36 am 

David,

Your posts are complex with many questions.

A few answers follow:

Dual gage is complex only when you have to change which side the common rail exists. There is a transition method that is fairly easy to construct.

Dual gage crossovers are just time consuming but very doable.

Dual gage double slips are impossible unless you model in purist PROTO standards and even then one side of the slip has to be an outside slip. I've never know of a protoype Double slip - though I've heard reported a single slip dual gage.

The FastTRacks dual gage fixture is a real bargain. It can build not only the dual gage turnouts, but also just standard and just narrow gage as well. Only the number 6 is available - but that's very practical.

Address your issues and questions separately.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]