[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - code 83 vs 70

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: code 83 vs 70
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:45 am 
Site Admin

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject: code 83 vs 70
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:50 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:38 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:06 pm 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject: Re: code 83 vs 70
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:08 pm 

Forgive me for being new at this and also for probably re-asking questions on a settled topic.

I am planning to build a layout using both code 70 and 83 rail. I see the on the KB that they can both be used in both code 83 and code 70 fixtures (https://www.handlaidtrack.com/kb_results.asp?ID=124). I also see references to Micro Engineering rail having changed in the past and note that these posts are over 10 years old. So, Questions:

Are the dimensions referenced here still accurate for current production ME rail?

That being true, assuming I have no fixtures to begin with, and assuming that that code 70 and code 83 fixtures are actually slightly different, is there a recommendation as to which fixture is preferable if one is going to build with both rail sizes. Specifically --

Would one or the other produce the least variation within NMRA specifications when used with the 'other' rail size?

Is the variation different in one case or the other - i.e. one out of the middle of the specification wide, the other narrow?

Is there a difference in the actual build i.e. is one more difficult with the 'other' rail size?

In short, would it be best to purchase code 70 or 83 fixtures?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:55 pm 

Hello wisfarmer,

As the operator who makes all of the assembly fixtures that we sell I can assure you that code 83 and code 70 fixtures are cut with the same mill bit. The only difference between the two is the lettering. In retrospect, if Micro Engineering rail been the same as it is today then the fixtures would have been labeled Code 70/83 for ME rail. The same does not apply to rail made by other manufacturers such as Atlas and Peco.

FYI, the base width for Micro Engineering code 70 rail is actually .002" wider than their code 83 rail. This difference is insignificant when using our tools.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:02 pm 

Perfect. I suspected so but because they are listed separately, I wasn't sure. Thanks for the very fast response.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]