[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Is this a good idea?

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is this a good idea?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:18 am 

I'm considering hand-laying my HO scale, standard gauge track (obviously or I wouldn't be here) and wondered if it would work OK to solder my straight (meaning non-turnout) rails to PC board ties instead of spiking them? Perhaps every fourth or fifth tie could be a PC board tie instead of a wooden one.

I have a couple reasons for considering this. One is that I have some older steam engines I really want to use. They run OK on code 83 rail but I'm not sure they'd work on code 70 with spikes, but by eliminating the spike I thought I'd get more clearance. It also seems a soldered joint would be stronger especially using silver-bearing solder, it would be less likely to work loose. The rails would be less likely to shift length-wise, and in looking at real tracks you really can't see the spikes from any distance so it seems it would look more prototypical. Plus a good portion of the track-work could be done built at the work-bench using templates instead of laying track in-place.

The downsides seem to me to be hiding the PC board ties (same problem I'd have with the turnouts though) and making sure the wooden ties are the same thickness as the PC board ties (ditto on the turnouts).

I'd glue the ties down before attaching the rails and set the rails using three-point track gauges.

Does anyone else use this method?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Actually, I use this method! Instead of re-explaining it here, I will post a link where you can find some pictures of how I do this....

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/port-kelsey/index.php?p=33

I am not concerned about hiding the PC board ties on the completed trackwork, I intend on painting the wood ties, PC ties and rail all at once. The ballast will hide any thickness mismatch between the PC ties and the rail.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject: Soldered rail
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:21 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:35 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]