[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Adding spikes to almost all the ties....

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:16 am 

Hello from Pierfrancesco (Italy).

I still have to build my first handlaid turnout and I a have a few questions about the building techniques.

First of all, I want to say that the pictures I have seen (for some of the HO scale turnouts in the slide show) look terrific.

I'd like to know if there is a way to add spikes to all the ties that make up a turnout (apart from the PC Board ties). To make a switch look very realistic, I believe the majority of the ties should be spiked.
If not possible, are there any "fake ones" that can be glued between the track and the ties?

How tall are the spikes? Will they exactly fit the ties tickness? Or, once in place, will they necessary stick the turnout to the layout?

Kind regards,

Pierfrancesco

Attachments:
spikes_in_place_m.jpg
spikes_in_place_m.jpg [ 74.13 KiB | Viewed 11264 times ]

Post subject: Spikes in HO
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:47 am 
Hello Mr. P (abrieviated)

Your a long way off! but I think I can help. If you go to the
P87 group, they sell scale sized spikes in HO that are very small and would fit your application. They also have some micro sized spikes that I plan on using for N scale, so if you need smaller ones they are available.
You can make your own using spring steel, form the head and then cut it to length. I would cut it so it doesn't go below the tie thickness, (It just for visual impact anyway)

The solder does all the work holding the rail in place so the spikes are just "window dressing" that is quite nec in HO scale. We in N can get away from including them.

Rob

Post subject: P87 group
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:46 pm 

Thank you for your suggestions, Rob.

What is the P87 group?
I am quite curious..... Is there any way to contact it?

I just have a last question: are there any plastic kits (or accessories) that imitate "track expansion joints" and/or the most recent "spikes" (like the ones we find in today's modern railways)?

Regards,

PF
8)

Attachments:
double_slip_2.jpg
double_slip_2.jpg [ 79.12 KiB | Viewed 11246 times ]

Post subject: P 87 group
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:50 am 
The p 87 group, is the HO fine scale site, that sells fine scale HO compo ents. Try P 87 it should come up. maybe someone has a link.

Rob

Post subject: New style "spikes"
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:16 pm 

Post subject: pandrol clip
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:08 pm 
I don't know what they are called in other countries, but in Australia they are known as 'Pandrol clips'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:12 pm 

Oops...forgot to log on before I posted the pandrol clip pix :oops:

Post subject: P87 Website
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:01 pm 
http://www.proto87stores.com/

They have scale spikes and tie plates. Click on the "Enter the Stores" admire all the neat stuff on the index page, then click on the "Track, Switches, Rail, and Ties" link.

If you can't find what you want on that pages, we really misunderstood your question.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]