Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 pm 

I am working on a new layout and have some space limitations. The maximum radius on curves will be 36", but mostly 33" and 30". Do I really need #8 turnouts and crossovers, or will #6 work fine for me?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 am 

This will depend on equipment your have and your own aesthetic appearance desires. Given the curve radius you are restricted to, a number 6 crossover will be compatible. Note that a crossover is an "S" curve and long equipment (especially passenger cars) will give dramatic overhang. Most modern steam (even articulated) are designed with swivel mounting and can handle negotiation well enough, but the appearance of the ends overhang may be disconcerting. If you are going to build up your crossovers with FastTracks, consider a number 7 or perhaps with number 6 widening the separation distance between the parallel tracks and including a longer straight section between the turnouts at the crossing portion. You may need to modify the trucks and couplers on very long cars to provide additional swing through the 'S' curve.
-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:40 pm 

Thanks so much for the verry rapid reply, I will surely take that into consideration.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]