Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 pm 

Can anyone tell me what the flange-way widths are for the FT HO double x-overs. The NMRA spec. is 0.040-0.050 for RP-25 wheel sets. And can those flange-way gaps be altered when you're building the kits?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:58 pm 

On my #6 Double crossover jig that is machined for code83 Micro Engineering rail i get a average measurement between the stock rail and guard rail heads of about .046-.049 and between the the rails at the frog about the same (.046-.049)
Hope this helps. Clint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:17 pm 

The 'other' question: "Can you make adjustments?" Yes within limits. It's hard to spread the flangeway out because the fixture grooves set a maximum shift. You can however, file slices off the base and hold the rails tighter when desires. Caution: You don't want too tight a flangeway at the frog-wing relationship as that can affect longer wheel base equipment. Setting the flangeway on the guard rail side is best done with track check gauge from the frog rather than the adjoining stock rail. On a crossing, all the relationships are close and tight. Be sure and use a fixture made for the rail you choose to employ.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:02 pm 

Thanks for the feedback. 0.076-0.78" for the Fast Tracks flange-ways puts them slightly over the mid-point of the NMRA flange-way specific ations. Do you see any downside to opening them up to 0.079" with a diamond file if there are any problems with long wheel base locomotives?

thanks
George T. Galyon

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]