[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Ho rails not flat in jig

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ho rails not flat in jig
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:52 pm 

I am new to this forum,and I am new to FastTrax. I am having trouble getting my rail to lay flat in the Jig. I have reviewed all of the videos several times and this doesn't seem happen.Can anyone give me any insight into this problem?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:01 pm 

shrub,

Details please. What fixture are you using, and what rail source are you using? Also, are the PC ties correctly trimed to fit the PC slots?

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 pm 

#7 code 100 & the ties are correctly in the jig. Even when I lay them on a flat surface they Do not lie flat

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:47 pm 

Micro engineering rail

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 am 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 pm 

I just received New rail from micro engineering.Thank you for your input I will see how it goes from here. I will say one thing though, it was not warped when I took it out of the packag, only when I filed it, or try to shape it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 pm 

I lay flat metal blocks on top of the rail on each side of the area I'm soldering. This helps me keep the rail flat and secure in the fixture. I made mine when I was working at a machine shop but if you can find a couple pc's of steel or brass 1/2" x 1" x 1-1/2" long it makes it alot easier...at least it did for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:22 pm 

ME code 83 fit well in the 83 jig. I did have some difficulty with the rails popping up and out when first gluing Proto87 tieplates to the PC ties . . . and then soldering the rails on top. I'm not sure if it's gonna affect performance but we'll see! I think putting weights on top of the rails is the cure for this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:32 pm 

You can check on the Fast Tracks website and they often sell scrap chucks of leftover jig block that can be used as weights.

If they have some you can purchase them and add them to your next order.

I use my rail filing blocks that I bought with my turnout jigs. They are heavy and sturdy but not to big to take up lots of space in work area.

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]