Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:41 pm 

I have seen on many scratch built turnouts that the builders fill in the frogs with solder and then file it out. Why is this a good or bad idea? I have tried it on only one turnout with some success.

Thomas G.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 am 

That's up to your choice. Not necessary for operations, but many see it as cosmetic in giving a cast frog appearance. Some also find it the be a way to allow finer wheels to navigate the fro by allowing the wheel flange to run through the frog flangeway.
-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:47 pm 

The layouts I have seen use them do not do so for cosmetic reasons. I think it is to keep the wheels from dropping into the frog.

Thomas G

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:26 pm 

If you are building your turnouts to NMRA standards then you don't have to worry about wheels dropping in frogs.

As Tim points out in his many videos the long thin points obtained when using Fast Track tools will prevent the problem of wheels dropping in the frog joint.

I guess the people who fill and file just can't make them up to standard and that is there fix to non-conforming frog work.

But this is just my opinion and may not be the exact reason they fill and fill their frogs.

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]