Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:46 pm 

I have a customer that is wanting me to build him a guantlet track using a pair of wye turnouts to go over a bridge,
just like the set up in the photo, he is using DCC and not sure what we need to do on the wiring, i plan on isolating the frogs as you would do normally in the building of the turnout, any ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:34 pm 

Hello cg51,

That is essentially all there is to it. Just isolate the frogs at each end of the gantlet and use a Mono Frog Juicer to control the polarity of each frog. The parallel rails on each side of the gantlet section will share the same polarity, just like dual mainlines.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:30 am 

Thanks Terry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 am 

I would check for the absense of any form of reversing loop in that part of the layout, otherwise you may have a short on your hand. If a form of reversing loop is in place you should be fine with treating the both gauntlet rails as part of the reversing loop.

Everybody can shovel, firing is an art

Firing this train was more fun then hard labor :-) © R. de Water

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 am 

cg51,
I have the same situation and I used two wye turnouts with the points cut off. I'm not sure what you plan for the actual double rail and how long it is between the wye's. My gantlet track travels 26 feet around my helix and what I did was use flex track, removed every 12th tie and replaced it with a PC tie and the used the rail roller to bend the second rail to the required radius and soldered it to the copper tie. I used one Mono Frog Juicer to handle two frogs and it works flawlessly.
Here is a link to my layout build showing the entrance and exit to the gantlet track. You'll find the explanation and photos about halfway down the page.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topi ... hichpage=3
Ralph (CN6401)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:05 pm 

Hi Ralph, thanks, the guantlet track was built and shipped last spring, if i remember correctly he was only going over a bridge for about 18'' or so. Clint

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]