Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:41 pm 

Have a Walthers DCC # 6 double crossover. I can travel the switch in both directions but I an unable to crossover with out a short. Can someone tell what I need to do to make this work. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm 

Have a look in the following link and read up to the first image. That may give you the answer if I understand you correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1174

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 am 

That was really great info, thanks, I'll need it in the furture. Right now I'm moving the 4 switches manually. Do think I need to hook the switch machines to this crossing before it will stop shorting out during crossover? Thank Again

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am 

I haven't used the tortise machines as yet, but to my understanding it should fix the problem. If you are manually shifting, the chances are that they are not being changed at exactly the same time, which is probably causing a short.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm 

You might want to check the frog gaps in the cross-over to make sure you don't get shorts when using cross over and not having both switches thrown at same time.

I would check the double cross-over wiring diagrams I have seen here before for where gaps need to be.

Kurt

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm 

I'm going to assume you have the code 100 x-over with the single metal crossbar. It is advertised as not DCC Friendly. You cannot depend on point-to-stock rail contact to route power. You may get continuity but you will almost certainly get voltage drops at the contact point that translate into shorts at the K crossings (the upper and lower crossings or gap crossings...whatever). Wire up the frogs to an SPDT (like on a Tortoise or other switch machine). Then switch both divergent routes simultaneously. Then hope that the insulation on the outer diamond crossings prevents frog shorting. The SPDT switching should take care of the K crossings. No gapping required on the new version Shinoharas with the single metal crossbar. The older version (twin metal crossbars) are another ball game.

The Shinohara will run ok for most engines but not nearly as well as a FT kit built double...in my opinion.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]