Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:06 pm 

Hi,

I'm interested in buying the #6 crossover jig. I want to use the jig to build #6 turnouts and obviously to build crossovers. I'm currently invested in Atlas Code 83 FlexTrack and about 20 Custom Line turnouts. I have #4 and #6 turnouts but will standardize on #6 for my layout. I'm presently considering selling all my brand new turnouts on ebay. They have all been opened and I don't really have a problem with them, I just like the idea of having perfect turnouts that I've made myself.

I have been writing back and forth with customer service here and they have been very helpful. I initially wanted to use Atlas code 83 rail in the ME fixture but have told that the base of the Atlas rail is wider then ME rail and would not fit properly into the jig. I can however order my fixture to work with the Atlas rail.

My question is if I use the crossover jig with the Fast Tracks pc board ties, wooden ties and Atlas code 83 rail will my turnouts or crossovers end up being the same height as the rest of my Atlas layout/track? I guess what I'm concerned about is if I the height of the ties on Atlas code 83 track is the same height as the wooden ties and pc board ties available from Fast Tracks. Maybe I would be better off just buying all ME track and forgetting about my Atlas track but I already have $300-400 in track and turnouts bought. I could sell it all but would be taking a loss.

I've googled trying to find an answer to this question with no results. If anyone can offer helpful input or feedback that would be great.

Thanks,

Eric

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:15 pm 

Eric.
The thickness between ties would only be a few thousandths of an inch if that. If it really bothers you you could shim under the thinner ties with card stock or folded paper. I am using the Central valley ties and hand laying code 70 and 55 rail. There is a .005 difference in tie thickness between turnout ties and main line ties. So far this has not been a problem at all.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:47 am 

Hi and thanks for the reply. If the difference is only a few thousands of an inch I'm not too concerned.

Eric

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]