Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:52 pm 

I’m extremely happy with the HO #6 turnouts I’m building for my new layout. All is going well. I’m getting ready to start laying track. To do that I will be translating my track plan drawn with 3rd Planit to my subroadbed. Using that program I have two lengths of turnouts, the default length and the minimum length. I reviewed the forum and found the definition of each of these. Default is, “The ... length of the turnout mounted on our laser cut QuickSticks ties.” Minimum length is the distance between the first and last PC tie.

In the specs for a #6 turnout, the default length is given as 292mm. This is the same distance used by 3rd Planit. However, when I measure the distance between the outside edge of the first tie to the outside edge of the last tie on the QuickSticks it is 277mm. There is a difference of 15mm.

My question, then, is, does this 15mm difference represent 7.5mm of rail extending beyond the outside edges of the first and last ties of the QuickSticks or does it represent something else?

Thanks,
Mark

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]