Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:04 pm 

Can anyone advise on a yard ladder turnout size that will allow for a somewhat compact size but also allow for the use of Mallet steamers without binding the drivers?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 pm 

Not an easy answer.

Depends on the Mallet and exactly which one as manufactured.

It's the issues of wheel base length, chassis design, the articulation connection between the engines, chassis lateral allowances and side rod clearances, rear engine fixed (vs modeled compromise swivel), etc.

Need lot's more information - there is not 'safe' rule of thumb for all conditions.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

I am returning to the hobby after 20+ years and starting a new DCC layout from the ground up so bear with me.

My goal is to build a transition era steam & diesel servicing facility that is inclusive of a turntable & roundhouse and transfer table and diesel shops.

To make a long story short, I have several new Rivarossi H-8s and BLI T-1s that I am most concerned with. I am trying to avoid the "toy train" look with the large distance between the cab and tender in order to utilize small radius turnouts. I just threw away all of my old atlas trackage from the 70's because, quite frankly, it was terrible. My intent is to hand lay all trackage in order to achieve a more realistic look and spatial interaction with the scenery. The turnout quality will determine any success so I am looking for any lessons learned that I can come across.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:35 pm 

Are you planning to use those engines as yard switchers? Would a real RR use that size loco to switch a yard? Maybe an older diesel or a smaller steamer could be used for switching the yard and the larger power can be used on the main where switches don't have to be compacted as much. That way a more compact yard ladder can be planned. (but what do I know....I'm a narrow gauger!)

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:45 pm 

Thanks for your comment.

I do not intend to use them as switchers. I was looking for ways to get them from the turntable to the to the mainline. Since space is always an issue for layouts, I was looking at the possible areas of compromise. I might need to multipurpose some trackage in order to make things work. I am not counting rivets or trying to do a 1:1 replica of any layout, but I do want to try to include additional aspects beyond the coaling & water towers, ash pit and sand house to suggest reality... such as a caboose track, RIP track, etc. This is shrinking the real estate, but I am sure that I don't want an oval as an alternative.

I am still in the planing stage so nothing is set in stone. I have not seen any published track plans that feature yards with service facilities for either steam or diesel as the focal point so I am just looking for ideas.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:07 am 

Service areas were not found in classification yards, but adjacent to them. A runaround track or lead from the main or drill track would go to the service area. Many yards had a small service area for through trains and yard engines. This would be something simple and compact with just a small coaling/sanding tower and a water stand pipe next to the main. Even a chute from the coaling tower can fill a stopped train on the main with a stand pipe. Even the mighty Pennsy was stuck for a lack of real estate. Crestline Ohio was a major service area for the large rigid frame duplex locos. The S1 was too big for the turn table and sometimes the balloon track also. Many times it ended up on the ground. Don't confuse class repair/major service areas for yards. The N&W finished out the steam years with modern drive through Lubritoriums. These simple structures were just a Jiffy Lube on steroids. Just a simple pit with powered lube system and very well lighting was able to keep the Js out on the road setting mileage records that first generation diesels could not achieve.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:44 am 

Thanks for the response Pete.

The intent of my layout is to freelance the concept of "what did, what could, and what should" based on what we now know through text (hind-sight is 20-20). My goal is the inclusion of all aspects of railroading that make it interesting in general, but also fun for the enthusiast. The bottom line for me is that it has to hold my attention to make me want to run my trains and invite others to join in.

To directly addres your point on locations, I can say that my design is going to be modular. That way I can move the modules when the time comes and expand as more space becomes available. At that point, more separation can be provided between specific areas. In the mean time I am working on selective compression in order to get the base elements in place to get started.

In order of design, the biggest challenge is how to position the turntable (walthers 130') in a module, or set of modules (1,2, or 4) that will allow for a full circle roundhouse (goal). That will take a large amount of space but once that challenge is solved everything else should flow a little easier. The yard ladder turnouts will still be key as they will determine how much compression can take place.

Jay

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 pm 

Jay.
I belong to an HO modular club. I have 5 modules that travel to local shows. One of my modules has a drive through scale track and 3 stub ended yard tracks. It measures 6 foot by 30 inches. From the front there is a siding, First main line, Second main line, Third main/switching lead, lead to the gravel plant/ departure track, Scale track, A run around track and the 3 yard tracks with a rip track. The clubs standard is all code 100 rail and manually operated Peco turnouts. My larger steam (2-10-4 and 2-10-0) will tolerate the short radius Pecos, But they hardly ever go past the gravel plants lead/ departure lead. I know what its like to cram track on modules. I feel your pain.
A large turntable with a full round shack would be a very large module. You could use the first track through the yard as a lead to the round house. That would limit the big engines to the straight through instead of the diverging routes. A full round would seriously limit the amount of ins and outs to the table. I find having 3 tracks to the table to be the minimum with one leading straight across from the longest stall or garden track for a loco longer than the table or the big hook and wreck train that could be pulled out.
Pete

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]