Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:34 pm 

I built a #6 ho scale switch track using 100 scale, I have it installed on layout but I am dealing with a shorting problem at the Frog. DCC runs through fine but as soon as loco hits frog it shorts out, will use another switch to describe how its set up.
(!empty($user->lang['ATTACHMENT'])) ? $user->lang['ATTACHMENT'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'ATTACHMENT'))):
File comment: looking from right to left, the frog to the right is where its shorting.
IMGP0011.JPG
IMGP0011.JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 7115 times ]
as said before DCC works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:41 pm 

Sorry about size of picture, first time

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:31 pm 

If 'hitting the frog' causes a short - then the frog is wrongly energized from some point. The frog should be isolated and completely dead from the rails and powered only via some electrical contacts controlled by the point throw rod.

Check solder points and gaps. Make sure the PC ties are fully gaped appropriately and the rails on front and rear of the frog are fully gaped. If you are energizing frog with electrical contacts - then check wiring polarity.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:05 pm 

Train Guy,

The problem that I can see is that you have no gaps in the closure rails of the right switch machine just before the frog. Every frog on every switch MUST be electrically isolated from the track and fed seperately by some means of a switch. I think you will find that your shorting problem will disappear when you gap the closure rails. The reason DCC is "happy" up until your engine's wheels bridge the gap is because you probably have the frog rails properly insulated with gaps or plastic rail joiners and then the metal wheels bridge the frog gap and "Bam" short.

Hope this helps.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]