[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Lower staging

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lower staging
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:53 am 

Just looking for some advice here.

I am building my lower staging soon. Would you suggest using code 100 turnouts and flex track for this area. It will not be hidden so that is not an issue, but I have heard that code 83 is a little delicate. And since I am using ME flex track on the visible mainline (the stuff I will be scenicing), I am concidering using atlas turnouts and flex track. But if it does not really matter then I will go ahead and build the turnouts with my jigs.

just wanted to get some thoughts.

JRL

Post subject: Re: Lower staging
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:08 am 

I use ME code 70 and I don't consider that fragile, so I wouldn't be concerned about code 83.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:16 pm 

It's not the rail that's 'fragile'. ME flex track is 'delicate' and more demanding in curving. Fine detail and a great choice for the visible main. For staging (and hidden tracks), use of Atlas code 83 is easy, quick, and inexpensive. Less detail, but very serviceable. You'll get better trunouts and quality by using the FT construction (and less expensive than purchased turnouts). Matching the code 83 ME rail used in the FT constructed turnouts to the Atlas code 83 rail in the flex track (two differing rail profiles) is not a real big issue - just a bit of filing at the joints. Stay with the ME code 83 rail for the visible mains - but learn to 'work it' in making curves.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 am 

Thanks for the input. I have decided to go ahead and build the turnouts and file/fit them to altlas flex. The lower staging is 22inch off of the ground so it will not be a visual problem. And I can save a little money on the atlas flex. however, all of the modeled scenes I will be using ME cd 83. I have used it a little, and it is hard to work with. But, you can't bea tthe way it looks. I am hoping, as time goes on, that it will get easier to work with as I gain experience with it. I wish some people who have experience with ti would post some links to the"how to."

Thanks for the advice

JRL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:09 pm 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]