Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:20 pm 

I have built a few CVT switch kits that have come out great. I am considering getting a Fast Track template for the majority of turnouts on my new layout. I was noticing that there is no kink in the diverging stock rail at the point like the prototype and the hand laid turnouts I have already built. Is this going to cause problems? Plus is there a way to use hinged points instead of continuous?
Thanks
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:22 pm 

Pete,

The 'kink' (also called 'joggle' or 'Z'-bend) works well and can be incorporated with the FastTracks fixtures and the templates. The fixtures have just enough allowance to incorporate the diverging point bend.

FastTracks has several how to videos and instructions for hinged points. It's an option for all turnouts, a must for the center points of a double slip (number 7 and above). Most of the examples use shortened half sized rail joiners or just spikes as side holding - but you can use other methods as well. The fixtures have a hinged point marker ('H') as well as the last solder point ('S') marker used for flexed continuious points.

See: Newsletter #8
See: The instructions for the Double Slip
See: Tim's excellent video; http://www.bronx-terminal.com/?p=2761

I prefer to measure the hinge point to AAR and AREA lengths. I cut the rail head and the rail base with a razer saw - leaving only the rail web to allow the hinging. This gives enough flexibility - but also allows full electrical contiunity.

No problems either way - just more time and effort to construct. If you use the joiners, align them between the ties so as not to create a hump.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]