[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Lack of details or not?

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lack of details or not?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:33 pm 

I have never used Fast tracks on my layout but maybe I will. I wonder if the lack of detail on the track and turnouts are a big problem? I'm sure the locos and cars will run great on the track but what about the details like tie plates and things like that?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:41 am 

Hello Benny,

You have to ask yourself: "Do I want to build a model of a turnout" or "Do I want to build turnouts for my models?". If it's turnouts for your models then Fast Tracks is the answer!

Fast Tracks makes it quick and easy to hand lay your own great looking, smooth running Turnouts, Wyes, 3-Ways, Slip Switches, Crossovers, Crossings, Straight and Curved track. Have a look at our Fast Tracks Built Trackwork slide show on our Home Page to see examples of what you can achieve!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:23 pm 

You can always buy the add-ons to make the best track in the model world look like real track, if you are worried about how they look.

Kurt

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:37 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:35 pm 

Benny,

Add on details for HO have been avialable from several sources for some time. Some rather oversize but nice castings are avialable from Precision Scale Products. Details West has replacement frogs, guardrails, and turnout side rail braces. The Proto:87 Stores sells the Details West products and also has etched frets of tie plates, special turnout tie plates frets, a unique fine scale prototypical appearing points throw bars, etched fish plates as well as the Details West plastic fish plates, and stainless steel spikes that are within 7% of true prototypical sizing. Many manufacturers provide nut-bolt-washer castings for skilled craftsmen to enhance built-up rail assemblies of frogs and fish plates.

One should note, that many actual prototypical sized details become 'lost' beyond a very close inspection. Photos will reveal the missing details, but the usual modeler observation distances makes the details just 'blur'. Sometimes just adding a 'hint' of the details will work well. Some very fine trackwork has been constructed with only adding some small plastic plates on each side of the rail base, glued in place after 'normal' construction. It's 'finicky' to do - but the results are nice - even under the camera eye.

To 'model' a turnout, be prepared to add lots of extra time and effort. You could also consider a 'pure' handlaying, altering the turnout geometry to the longer leads of scaled AREA geometry, making only the necessary model adjustments for the oversize flangeways and clearances. This goes far beyond the methods and practices that the FastTracks system provides. You want to definitely have easy to construct and reliable trackwork - and the FastTracks fixtures has that down well.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]