[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - A completely new way of building subroadbed

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:02 am 

This might be a little out of topic. Please remove it if you feel that it should not be posted here.

I have done some experimenting with a new way of building sub roadbed. I used three parallel PVC pipes screwed down at the bottom of the pipe.

Then I added cork roadbed on top glued down with latex caulk.

Sorry for the bad image quality.

I can see many advantages with this way of building sub roadbed. It's easy to build curves and grades. It's fast and easy to build. No masonite strips to cut and glue. The only thing I wonder is...

What do you guys think?

Attachments:
IMG_9150.jpg
IMG_9150.jpg [ 55.56 KiB | Viewed 8152 times ]
IMG_9159.jpg
IMG_9159.jpg [ 39.41 KiB | Viewed 8151 times ]

Last edited by Benny Rönnhager on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 pm 

Is there a particular type of adhesive you recommend to use with this? Have you encountered adhesives that suggest they might not bond well over time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:21 am 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:43 am 

Hmmmm..... very interesting. I would be very interested in how this turns out for you. My only concern would be that the hollow nature of the tubing would cause it to amplify the sound of the wheels over the rail in the way a hollow guitar does. Still very interesting.

Let us know how it works.

JRL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:24 am 

I personally use 4" thick foam as the base board and a clever little Aussie invention to glue the track and ballast to. It's flexible, so it can be shaped after glueing to whatever radius, provided you are using flex track. It's then a matter of using regular fixing pins to hold the assembly to the baseboard. As it's foam, just push it through with your finger. Obviously it's very easy to remove should the need arise. And it is virtually noise free.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]