Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Code 83 and Code 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:11 pm 

There has been a bit of contention within our club as to which code rail to use. I advocate the use of code 83 for the mains and other rail elsewhere. Mainly because I have several code 83 Fast-Tracks fixtures and I would like to use those for the track on our modules. One of the members of the club, however, is under the impression that certain "older" and European equipment will not run on code 83 due to the flange depth. I have tried a piece of Roco equipment that looked like it had pizza cutters for flanges and it did not have any problems with Atlas code 83. Since I am handlaying the Code 83 on PC Board ties, that cuts out any problems there might be with spikes getting in the way as well. My questions is: Is there anything out there that will not run, or rather, will have problems on code 83 trackage? It doesn't seem so, but I would like a little more expert input, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Code 83 and Code 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:37 pm 

The European deep flange equipment follow the older MOROP NEM 311 wheel profile. which is a 0.047" (1,2mm) flange depth. The more recent NEM 311.1 profile, which is an allowed fine profile, has a depth of 0,6mm (0.024") which matches more closely the NMRA RP-25 dimensions. Even the older flanges will run fine on code 83 track (pending the clearances imposed by the spike heads). Most of the modern code 83 track and better offerings have smaller spikeheads than the more classical flex track and poses no problems with clearances as concerns the flange depth.

One issue that is not affected by the rail code is that the NEM wheel sets will use a slightly narrower wheel check gauge with a smaller back-to-back minimum. It is not the rail code, but the US specified turnout track check gauges that are affecting reliable operations with the European NEM wheels. Building trunouts with the FastTracks fixtures using code 83 rail will provide excellent operations with the NEM 311 and 311.1 wheel sets, but some commercial turnouts for HO will have interchange issues with the narrower European wheel sets. But again, that will be true regardless of the rail codes - even with code 100 rails.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:12 am 

Thanks Ed :D . That is what I thought, but I am glad to have someone who actually KNOWS what they are talking about clear things up.

Cheers,

Jim L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 am 

If you use old Hornby/Triang stuf, that won't work on code 83. I've had that rolling stock for 35 years and won't part with it because it was one of the last things my dad bought for me before he died.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]