Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am 

On my Hon3 - 3-ways I made with my fixture, I shortened the upper point rails hinge points by placing it on the other side of the 2nd PC board down from the Frog. I made 6 - 3-ways this way and it seems to be working out for my customers. Shortening the hinge point rail still gave me enough clearance with the adjoining rails.

My question is: If I were to follow the instructions according to the HOn3 3-way drawing and the way my jig is set-up, how would the hinged point rails stay in place after you sawed the insulation gaps at the frog? Or, did I miss a detail regarding this somewhere in the construction of 3-ways?

Thanks for all the good things you've done,

Glen Thomas
Waukesha, WI

Attachments:
tt-hon3-w-6.pdf [280.72 KiB]
Downloaded 694 times

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Glen,

The technique shown in the HOn3 three way tie template is to use rail spikes to act as hinges, they can be seen just below the gaps in the rail. These would anchor the rails in place. The points are joined to the throwbar using small brass tabs soldered to the bottom of the points through which small 00-90 screws are threaded into the throwbar.

This is an older technique that while it does take a bit of effort, works very well. The screws can be a bit unsightly though.

Doing this today, I would likely use rail joiners as hinges, and use the soldered spike technique that I use on my Bronx Terminal layout to act as pivot points.

Here is a link to my CNJ Bronx Terminal site where I have a video showing the technique using a spike to create freely moving pivot points in a hinged point turnout....

http://www.bronx-terminal.com/?p=2761

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:54 am 

Thanks Tim for the reply.

The way my jig is set-up/made, I can not use the rail joiner hinge, which I feel works the best. I have to lower the point rail hinge and then add another PC board tie after I complete the 3-way and before I saw the insulation gap. If you are going to make any newer 3-way templates, I'd keep this in mind and also change the "Quick Stick" to match any newer version of the HOn3 3-way.

Attached is the drawing of the HOn3 3-way and what I have to do to make it work for me.

Thanks for all the Great work you guys do. And all the ladies that are behind the scene.

Glen Thomas
Waukesha, WI

Attachments:
Hon3 3-way hinge placement.jpg
Hon3 3-way hinge placement.jpg [ 82.6 KiB | Viewed 6123 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]