[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Washing Turnouts Idea

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Washing Turnouts Idea
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:18 pm 

Hey all,

My least favorite part of the turnout construction has always been washing them. No more! The other day I had an idea while I was washing a few dozen turnouts (because I always put that part of construction off). After testing some of them, I came up with this procedure. First I soak them in baking soda and hot water (no scrubing), then rinsed. Then I put them (carefully) in my dishwasher, on the top shelf. I used some old ice cube trays on top of the turnouts to kind of "pin them down" and ran a regular cycle with dishwashing soap. WOW, the turned out better than my hand washed ones. Since I just did a few batches, so I don't know if there are any "long-term" drawbacks, none seen yet, but I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

Only downside I can see is that some spouses may get a little choked about model parts being washed in the dishwasher. Vita put the dishwasher off limits after the time that Tim decided to try washing the aluminum honeycomb holder from the bottom of our laser cutter. But then I could see her point. Meals did have a decidedly 'woody' taste for some time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, but it sure cleaned it!

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:54 am 

Any suggestions for washing a turnout that is constructed in placed and can't be washed in the sink or dishwasher?

Art VanDeWater
River Falls, Wisconsin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:16 am 

ONE: Don't use acid flux. The H&N water soluble "SafeFlux" has been covered in several threads.

TWO: Make all solder joints carefully and have little or no 'excess'.

THREE: Even a fine misting of water with alcohol can be applied and scrubbed with a toothbrush on in place - and it will help. Consider using automotive window washer fluid (blue) - it is mostly ammonia and works well (provided you did not use acid flux).

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]