[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Turnout diverging radius for the HOn30 #6 fixture

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:42 am 

Hello Tim and Ron,

I was wondering if one of you could tell me what the diverging radius is for the turnouts on your HOn30 Code 55 #6 assembly fixture. It is listed as "NA" on the spec page.

Thanks!

JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

The radius in an HOn30 #6 turnout is 23". This isn't the substitution radius, just the side of the curved portion of a straight turnout. I am not sure what the substitution radius would be for this size.

Hope this is helpful.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:04 pm 

That's exactly what I was looking for!

I hope to be placing an order for a fixture and a point form tool in a month or two...

Thanks Tim.

JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:30 pm 

Hello again Tim,

I received the fixture in fine shape and have already produced a few perfect turnouts (in large part due to the fixture!).

A couple of observations, (not complaints at all)... The wing and guard rails on the fixture seemed a little short to me. The wing rails were only about 36-42" long, which left about an 18" overlap of the frog point. It looked odd on the finished turnout, so I remedied the situation by milling the slots longer on my mill. Not pretty, but 100% functional, and I didn't alter any rail datum surface in any way that would effect accuracy...

The short machined marks in the fixture to indicate where the bend on the wing rails should sit are missing on my #6 fixture. Is this standard for the fixtures now? My other 5 fixtures have this feature, and it's really nice! :) It is a nice feature to have to do without, though I can get on without it... Is it something I have to/can specify on future fixtures?

Again, these are observations, and/or questions, not complaints!

Thanks for a great product!

JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback.

The guard and wing rails ended up short because the rail center lines were lifted from N scale geometry with HOn30 ties added. This resulted in shorter lengths as they really are N scale. I guess they should have been extended a bit for aesthetics.

I had a look at the CAD files for your HOn30 #6 fixture and the location of the PC board ties resulted in the reference lines for the wing rails being eliminated. This happens with some sizes of turnouts, if the bend is located above a PC board tie there can be no reference line. I try to avoid this when designing the trackwork, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

The bend location is right at the top of the PC board tie pocket for this fixture, very close, but not close enough to engrave the line.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]