[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Printable track template doesn't seem to measure up...

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:24 am 

Hi, so I just printed template tt-n-t-5.pdf (N scale #5 turnout)

Before you ask, yes I checked and the template IS printed at the correct scale... the 1" reference mark on the upper right-hand corner of the page measures 1" exactly with a caliper.

However, when I look at the specs on the sheet, it says...

Default Turnout Length=5.39"
Minimum turnout Length=3.92"

BUT when I measure the turnout on the page from one end of the rail to the other ( the top peice of rail on the page), it's exactly 4.875", which isn't even close to either of the measurements above... so what am I misunderstanding here?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

The Minimum Length stated in the turnout stats information refers to the shortest possible turnout that can be built, which is the length between the outer PC board ties in the turnout.

The Default Length is the length of the turnout mounted on our laser cut QuickSticks ties. The turnouts shown on the tie templates do not show all the ties that are on the QuickSticks, they are a bit shorter and therefore the Default Length can not be measured from the printable Tie Templates.

Hope this helps!

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:55 am 

O-I-C !

I understand now. Thanks. I figured there was some sort of explanation like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:34 pm 

OK, so the $25,000 question is how does the Platform Planner thing for the same turnout work?

Is it the 'minimum size'
or the 'default' size'
or something else?

I want to make a 'pretty close' plan on my PC, then get the platform planners, then get the jigs.

My New Years resolution is to build a damned railroad this year even if it means not eating. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

The PlatForms are based on the same dimensions as the QuickSticks and match the Default Length in the specs.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:41 pm 

The default length... thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 am 

OK, now I have another problem...

I need to know the distence from the beginning of the default length to the beginning of the throwbar.

See below....

In the above illustration, the length from the beginning of the MINIMUM length, the PC board before the throwbar is point A.

The beginning of the thorwbar is point C.

It seems that for all N scale turnouts this length (from A to C) is 3/16" of an inch.

What I need to know is what is the distance from the beginning of the DEFAULT length of the turnout, point D above, to the beginning of the throwbar, point C?

Also is this the same on all N scale turnouts, as it seems to be for the 3/16" measurement above?

Basically, I want to use the Platform Planners and Roadbed, but those are I understand all the default length of the turnouts.

I first want to do some preliminary planning on my PC using some ten-year-old software I have. That's why I need this critical measurement: the distance from the beginning of the default length of the turnouts to the throwbar.

thanks in advance.

(I promise to order some stuff from you guys soon)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I had a look at the files, the length of the "D-C" dimension is .55" on all N scale turnouts.

Hope this helps!

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:46 pm 

Groovy! Thanks....

Just for my own curiosity, what is the measurement for HO?

Is it simply one tie before the PC board tie, before the throwbar?

thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 pm 

I always wanted to know something slightly different.

If you draw the center lines of the track for a turnout it's two straight lines that split at an angle. Both for drawing track center lines on CAD drawings and also for quick ruler layouts on plywood it would be nice to know the length of the straight line (default length), length from the point end to where the diverging route starts, and then distance between the normal and diverging route. With these three measurements you could lay out the lines quickly with a ruler.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 am 

The question there is what is the measurement from the centerlines of the two tracks at the minimum length and default lengths?

In theory, if you take the default length, in the case of the #5 Nscale 5.39 inches, then subtract the "D-C" measurement from the illustration above, you get 4.84". Call that value A

That should be the meaurement of the entire length of the diverging part of the turnout.

Now, since this is a #5 turnout, length A should be five times the measurement between centerlines of track at the end of the default length. So in that case, 4.84" / 5 = 0.968" Call that value B

If you take (B/A) you get .2 (which is the same a 1/5 as this is a #5 turnout) if you punch .2 into your calculator then using 10th grade geometry you thought you'd never use and hit [inv] [sin] (reverse sine) you get 11.527 degrees, the measurement of the angle between the two tracks. Now FastTracks tells us this measurement should be 11.31 degrees, so something is off.

If you take the angle FastTracks gives you on the printable template, and get you sin of it you have 0.192522. Then take that number and multiply it by measure A from above (4.84") you get 0.949", an alternative measurement for the distance of the centerlines of the two tracks. Now this is only off by 19 1/1000ths of an inch and no one's track work is that exact.

I can draw a picture for all this later to make it more clear.

HEY TIM: Please let me know the measure of (D-C) from your earlier post for HO. (N Scale was .55", what is it for HO)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:34 am 

thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]