Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:49 pm 

I was wondering if anyone has found it necessary to place an insulating material (like 0.05 styrene)in the gaps cut in the frogs and point rails...using the jewellers saw these are really small gaps.

Last edited by njallison on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:07 pm 

The gaps are positioned between two PC ties. There is little likelihood they will ever close up and short. Only gaps that are tied to wooden ties that are bound to the roadbed and substructure that can be affected by expansion and contraction due to humidity changes will need an insulator in the gaps.

Any placement of gap filler is purely a cosmetic function with regards to the frogs for the turnouts (though that can be important for many).

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:56 am 

Ed
Thanks for the responce however, having seen code 70 rail shift due to heat expansion I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with the small gaps cut by a jeweler's saw closing up. (I am well aware of were the gaps are cut and how the turnouts are made I've made about 2 dozen).

njallison

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:04 pm 

I use a .010 thou. blade in my jewelers saw and I CA a piece of styrene sheet in the gap and then trim it to the track profile when the glue is set. I just feel for all the time it takes it could save lots of trouble in future. It also makes the track smooth which eliminates problems when track cleaning. Roy.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]