[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Frog Point Area Isolation

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:23 pm 

Per the turnout build instructions, the point rails and the frog rails are cut with a saw to isolate the frog area. My question is regarding the frog rail side - 1) is there a reason the the frog rails are cut near the points versus just putting insulated gaps at the end of the frog rails, and 2) what are the reasons for one versus the other?
Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:02 pm 

Hi Tom,

If you don't cut the isolation gaps before and after the frog you will have a dead short based on the way the isolation gaps are placed on the PC board ties. It is possible to use insulated joiners at the end of the frog rails without cutting the isolation gaps in the frog rails but you'll also have to eliminate the isolation gap in the last PC board tie at the frog end of the turnout. You will probably need to supply some sort of frog power due to the extra length between the isolation gaps before the frog and the insulated joiners.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:34 pm 

Thanks Tim,

I was planning on powering the frog anyway, along with addressing the PC board gap...I was thinking that I could eliminate a joint and a need to drop a couple of wires down to power thew frog rails.
Regards,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:03 pm 

I don't bother to cut the rails past the frog, unless the customer specifically asks. I do advise them to use insulated rail joiners at least on the inside rail or they will have a short like previously mentioned. My feeling is that I or he will power the frog anyway, the extra length isn't going to hurt anything, and the gaps are well within the accident contact area anyway. Other supporting evidence suggests that the turnout is stronger because there isn't any gaps in the two inner rails, so the turnout is stronger along its "axis"

Works well with crossover also that way all you do is place one set of plastic joiners between the two turnout frogs, and you don't have to run a separate feeder to each separate track section.

Rob

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]