[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - QuickSticks, Point Rails and the instruction video

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 pm 

Last night, I cut the gaps in a pair of N Scale #10 Turnouts assembled in a crossover. Unfortunately, when I did so (using a Dremel with a thin cutoff wheel), the solder joint just below the lower gap broke on one of the point rails on each of the turnouts.

I'd like to clarify whether or not the point rails should be glued down when there is a web below them. In the video Finishing Your Turnout with Quicksticks, Tim says (paraphrased), "don't glue down the point rails" and "put a bead of glue along the whole web." grrrrr....

Second, related question: what's the best way of fixing these loose point rails?

Third question: is there a way of keeping the Dremel's torque from kicking the points loose? One of the frogs also "hooked" and slewed sideways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:26 am 

I think the best way to cut gaps in turnouts is to use a jewelers file with a .010" blade. If used with the turnout well supported in the cutting area and only using downward strokes it is quite easy to cut gaps with no distortion of the turnout parts or soldered joints.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:08 am 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:05 am 

I have a jeweler's saw, but unfortunately I got ahead of myself, assembled the crossover and glued (actually, caulked) it down to the roadbed before cutting the gaps. I have another crossover to finish, and hopefully will remember to cut the gaps AFTER gluing the Quicksticks and BEFORE caulking the assembly down.

It's a variable speed Dremel (actually, its a Dremel tool in a Craftsman suit), at lowest speed already.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]