Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:47 pm 

Is there any chance you would consider a fixture combining 24", 26" and 28" radii? Having to resort to $130+ for a custom fixture or a combination that yields these 3 would put a dent in my budget (or in my head if my wife found out... :? ) I don't think I could handle. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:58 pm 

If there was enough demand, an assembly fixture would be made in those radii. I assume you are talking about HO scale? I actually wouldn't mind that selection myself, but I would have to wait until the Aussie dollar is buying a lot more US cents before I order anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:47 am 

Have you checked the exchange for Aussie to CDN directly. Fasttracks is CDN and is affected more by US$ to CDN than anything else.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm 

:oops: Yes, I forgot to mention I meant HO scale, standard gauge.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:56 pm 

That may be true Ed but all Fast Tracks sales are in US dollars. The conversion to the customer's home currency will be done by the customer's bank whenever payment is processed either by check, money order, credit card or PayPal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:46 pm 

Money does indeed make the world go 'round but right now I'm hoping for a slightly cheaper way to get it to do so in HO standard gauge radii of 24", 26" and 28" before the financial meltdown eliminates all discretionary spending... :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:51 am 

There is a way to get all the radiuii offered in HO for a lesser amount. This may not be suitable for everyone, but resellers may be interested. I constructed a spreadsheet to sort them out and came up with the following:

Order the 18-20-22, the 26-28-30, and the 36-40-46 as offered plus one custom 24-32-34. This is all the offered radiuii. You could substitute another radius if you wanted and not change the cost. The total gross cost is $339.96 USD. Considering most folks can get at least the 10% discount the amount would be $305.96 USD at a maximum for each tie spacing type (mainline, branch, or siding).

It would be nice if Fast Tracks would make the 24-32-34 as a standard offering, but there would be several additions to files considering the tie spacings and rail codes. This translates into lots more work for Tim and Ron.

Another suggestion for Ron and Tim: Will the tie spacings for the mainline, branch, and siding fit into one fixture, with the PC tie slots offset for each one and marked for which is which? However, this would make for a cluttered fixture and inattention to construction could yield mistakes by the user.

The same thoughts were applied to the N scale offerings but there are 5 fixtures involved, 4 as offered and one custom.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:04 am 

If one was t0o use all those radii on the one layout, it sounds like a good idea. Personally, I will be trying to use only 2 or 3 different radii to reduce cost and use strategically placed scenery so it doesn't look like a "set track" layout.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59 am 
Site Admin

These sizes we chose for the curved fixtures were all results of a poll we took a couple years back. We used these results to determine what are the most common radii for a given scale, and did our best to make logical groups for each fixture.

Adding new sizes isn't an issue, especially if there seems to be good demand for them. We chose to add the custom option for sizes that are unlikely to be required by more than a few modelers, so there is a premium for those.

Adding the fixture above would make sense, it consists of common sizes and clearly would be of interest to others, so in the next few days we will add this to the line. Keep an eye on the site for it to pop up.

If there are combination you wish to see, by all means let us know, we would be happy to add them.

Cheers!

Tim

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:23 pm 

Thanks Tim, I am now planning on ordering all 4 of the fixtures in all three tie spacings. I will order one set at a time over a period of time, starting within the next 60 days or so.

I recommend your products to all interested modelers I talk with and encourage them to get their own fixtures so they can enjoy the satisfaction of making their own.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

The 24/26/28 HO fixtures have been added to the site. The link below will take you to the code 83 version...

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/ho-mainline-curved-track-24quotr-26quotr-28quotr-me-83-rail-p-8368.php

This fixture is also available in all the other rail sizes.

Cheers!

Tim

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]