[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Tie Rack Tie Jigs for Turnouts

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:57 am 

Does Fast Tracks have any plans for producing a Tie Rack Tie Jig for Turnouts?

Thanks,
-GmG-

Gary Gealy
Daphane, AL

Gary Gealy
Daphne, AL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Gary,

We have no plans to introduce a tie rack for switches at the present time. Our TwistTies could be a viable alternative for you however.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:39 pm 

Ron,

Thanks for responding in a timely fashion to my post.

Yes, I agree that the TwistTies would work. My objection to that solution is that I would have to purchase a TwistTie for each of the 55 turnouts that I plan to build. Adding another $392.00 to the cost of my layout.

What I am looking for is something I could resuse like the Turnout Fixture and as such amortize the cost as I build more turnouts. My method would of course take me more time but that's okay. I can live worth sacrificing some time to save a some money.

Again thanks for responding and I hope this post will at least get you to rethink your position.

Regards,
Gary Gealy
Daphne, AL

Gary Gealy
Daphne, AL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:56 pm 

Gary,

In my work of fabricating switches for sale on eBay, I have made up some "tie racks" by using QuickStrip Laser Ties.

What you do is take the ties out of the strip and use the edges to fabricate a jig.

You have to bevel the edges so that you don't glue the rail to the fixture when you are setting the rail in place on your new ties. There is no beveled edge in the photo, I discovered the error after I glued the edges down.

Incidently, use the ties you took off the strip to locate the second half of the jig. Now you have an exact duplicate

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Sorry about the size, I forgot how to reduce it.

Last edited by oldsnowtop1 on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:29 pm 

I have re-sized it for you. Feel free to edit your post to remove your image.

Attachments:
TIE JIG.JPG
TIE JIG.JPG [ 55.58 KiB | Viewed 11249 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:29 pm 

I did the same thing. Works like a charm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:52 pm 

Given that the Tie Racks come in mainline, branch and siding tie spacing any hints on how to do the same with turnout ties? Sounds like a possible reason for turnout jigs too... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 pm 

Well, assuming what's being suggested is to use as a jig the portion of a Quick Sticks turnout you normally trim off and discard you may get less than you wanted. Just received a pair of #4 and #6 Sticks and only the #4 actually have tabs along the edges between the ties. The #6s do not, making them no Quick solution. I guess you should heed the warning that what you get may not match what's in the photos... :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:27 pm 

Hello, Gary

It has been a while since I made a post. I have sucessfully made tie rack jigs in most sizes and configurations - turnouts, double and single crossovers, wyes, etc.

I also used the Quicksticks selvage pieces. Once you have made the trackwork and affixed the Quicksticks, then broken off the selvage, you simply pin the completed trackwork to a base for the tie rack jig. Pin the trackwork good, so it doesn't move during the process of making the tie rack jig. Then you carefully place the selvage pieces back like they were when attached. When all looks good, apply the adhesive to the selvage pieces and put them back into position with pins to hold them. Once they are firmly in the correct position carefully remove the completed trackwork. Just be careful and not use too much glue so that it doesn't get under the trackwork piece. Mark where the point PC tie goes, whether hinged or flex. I also cleaned up the places where the selvage and the Quickstick ties joined.

Another method I tried, and it also worked VERY WELL, was to use the desired Quickstick in its unused, complete form, as received from FastTracks. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood for the base and 4 pieces of straight wood the same thickness as the Quicksticks. I pinned the Quicksticks to the plywood then glued the 4 strips to the plywood as such: (I actually used other quickstick selvage pieces inverted so the straight side fit against the full quickstick piece) Place a full length straight piece along both long sides of the quickstick and glue it down. Take 2 short pieces and glue them down on the point end of the quicksticks, letting them protrude out only about 1/8". This gives a stop point for the next step. Remove the new Quickstick piece from the base and put it aside. Next, use selvage pieces from the same size Quickstick you formed the strips around. Place them inside of the rectangle formed by the thin strips, making sure the point end of the selvage pieces are firmly against the stops and against the full length sides. Glue the selvage in place and you have a tie rack jig. Takes very little time to make once you get the hang of it. Remember to use the same Quicksticks to make the jig with as you intend the jig to be used for. Not all Quicksticks are the same width in the tie area, and especially in the selvage area (one size v/s another).

Hope this helps and is clear enough in my description. I do not have any photos available.

Littletree

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:32 am 

It sounds as if you make rectangular boxes around the ties to make your jig. Sounds simple enough.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:39 pm 

Model Railroader Magazine has a book for sale at their on line web site
called "Trackwork and Lineside Detail for your Model Railroad" it sells
for $19.95 and worth every penny. It describes in detail how to Assemble
a Tie spacing jig that you can assemble in any scale as well as answers to
most all your questions on Hand laid Track. In my opinion every model
Railroader should own a copy of this book as well as own a selection of "Fast
Track" Fixtures, Platform Planners & Roadbed, Switch Building Kits, Twist
Ties Kits, QuickSticks Laser Ties, TwistTies And Tie Rack Tie Jigs .With all
these Items you will never have to worry about Your Turnouts being anything
but perfect.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]