Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: crossover with TwistTies
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:36 pm 

I couldn't find any info in the Forums on how to make a crossover with TwistTies. Here is a photo showing how I did it. Anyone else do it differently??
(!empty($user->lang['ATTACHMENT'])) ? $user->lang['ATTACHMENT'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'ATTACHMENT'))):
IMG_1383.1.JPG
IMG_1383.1.JPG [ 189.52 KiB | Viewed 5645 times ]

Thanks,

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:51 am 

Ed,

The crossover rails don't align. You need to move the turnouts further apart. You have to use some extra free floating ties in the dead middle.

As it is now you'll end up with a severe kink or bow in the crossover. Part of the problem is the cork base was aligned without enough room. You will need to fix it before you go too far. Trying to squeeze it in will just make things miserable latter on.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:56 am 

Ed,

When the upper and lower TwistTies are positioned tightly together the alignment is perfect - see photo below. I only left the space between them to show how they were modified.
(!empty($user->lang['ATTACHMENT'])) ? $user->lang['ATTACHMENT'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'ATTACHMENT'))):
IMG_1384.1.JPG
IMG_1384.1.JPG [ 155.61 KiB | Viewed 5614 times ]

Thanks,

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:28 pm 

Ed,

Good! That is much better. Looks good to me. You can take a little extra effort to 'join' the fitted ties with a touch of wood putty or fill to mask the edges if you like. It's not necessary - only a cosmetic option. Once all assembled, painted or stained, and ballasted, the crossover will look fine. I'd arrange the rail joints between the frogs on the crossover to be offset unless you need an electrical gap in the center for blocking.

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]