Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: About those files...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:38 pm 

I was reviewing my documentation again before continuing in my quest to build my first turnout, and in it you call for using a Second Cut Mill file. Yet here on the site you're selling a Bastard Cut mill file. 10" at that, which is a more aggressive cut than an 8" or 6" Bastard. Should I venture forth and secure a Second Cut Mill, or is the Bastard going to be sufficient.

Second question, can you give more details about the new files you're coming up with?

Finally, it may be useful to give some hints/tips on storing the tools, especially the files. My guess is that Tim's fascination with stirring paint with files comes from using files that have been improperly stored. Files should be stored like fine cutlery. No, they don't need fancy padded and flocked cases, but they should be stored so that they DON'T BANG INTO ONE ANOTHER OR OTHER TOOLS!! Let 'em bang, and they'll dull quickly enough to stir paint!!

Post subject: Re: About those files...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:38 am 

What file to buy would depend on your skill with hand tools and what kind of finish you're after. Start with the file you have and see how it turns out. Maybe using some emery cloth wrapped around a scrap piece of pine after using the file would achieve an even better finish.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]