[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Painting Track

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Painting Track
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:19 pm 

Hi All,

If this has already been covered, please steer me to the right spot......I've been looking at the Fast Tracks images of completed trackwork. I own several jigs and love the results, but I'd like to know the painting techniques and colors that you showcase in these pictures. The rust color on the rails and the ties strongly suggest tie plates, plus overall coloring is excellent. Can you share your techniques?

David Olesen
Hackettstown NJ

Post subject: Re: Painting Track
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

All the trackwork in the slideshow was painted using the same technique. Once the turnout is completed, and mounted onto ties, the entire piece of trackwork is painted with Floquil Rail Brown.

I prefer Floquil paints as it goes on almost dry and dries to a flat finish. If using acrylic paint, you will have to prime the trackwork with a flat gray first as acrylic paint will not stick well to the rail or to the PC board ties, it has a tendency to bead up.

I clean the top of the rails immediately using a scrap piece of wood dipped into lacquer thinner. Using a stiff piece of wood ensures only the top of rail is cleaned. I have found a cloth or paper tower is awkward, and catches on sharp parts of the turnout.

Once dry I ballast the turnout.

After the ballasting is complete and thoroughly dry I weather the turnout a bit. I prefer a simple light misting between the rails of Weathered Black, just enough to darken the centre of the track as is commonly seen on the prototype.

To finish the rails, and to simulate tie plates, I use Floquil Paint Markers, specifically this set...

These paint markers are one of the best tools for painting rail there is! A simple pass along the edge of the rail and it is complete. Its very easy to control where the paint is applied and the results look great. I use the "Rust" pen for the rail.

When applying paint to the rail using the paint pen, I also drag some onto the ties. This simulates tie plates very well, in fact I believe they look better then the cast on plastic tieplates found on commercial turnouts as they are quite difficult to paint properly without getting paint everywhere, a paint pen doesn't work very well due to the spike heads sticking up.. Studying the prototype from a similar distance as we see out models will reveal the tieplates appear to only be a line of rust along the ties, using the paint markers simulate this very well. Don't worry about a bit of rust colour on the ballast either, as this is also very noticeable on the prototype.

Perhaps we should add a video to the site showing how to finish a turnout like the ones shown on our slideshow....

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/slideshows/general/index.html

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:33 pm 

Thanks for the fast reply - I'll give this a try. And yes, a video would be great.

David Olesen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:38 am 

Tim,

Where do you get your Floquil Paint Markers. I've found a couple of on-line retailers stateside, however they will not ship it over the boarder because they are "restricted".... :?

Thanks,

Shane

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:27 am 

I have heard of a method of putting a light cover of thin oil on the top of the rail before painting. The top of the rail can then be wiped clean well after the paint has dried. Are there dis-advantages with this method?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:03 am 

Tim,

I thought you used Floquil Grimy Black to spray bomb the track. That's what on the DVD...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

The techniques I use for painting track evolve often. Lately I have been using a simple coat of Floquil Weathered Black on everything, usually sprayed with an airbrush. A spray can would also work fine, and any grayish black colour would look fine.

In the examples above, after painting the track, I installed in place and then ballasted them. Once dry, I use a wash of leather dye (black) and rubbing alcohol to darken the ballast between the rails. It is a very heavily diluted wash, it is gets too dark it looks awful. Sorry, I am not sure of the ratio...

After all is dry I used the Floquil pens to paint the sides of the rails with Rust. I also use the paint pens to simulate tie plates.

I have noticed over the last few months that these pens are starting to show up in stores and at train shows. Hopefully their popularity is starting to grow!

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:34 pm 

I find the spray cans either look uneven, or leave too much buildup, or both. Now, that said I can't get Floquil spray cans here, so that may be the issue.

The Floquil pens though are awesome. I got the three color "rail colors" pack and you can paint a turnout in minutes. I do the quicksticks with the tie color before gluing, paint the rail with the "rail brown", then touch up with rust after final assembly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:04 pm 

You can purchase three different sets of Floquil Paint Markers from Micro-Mark each set containing three (3) different colors for about $7.29 USD.

Set# 84069 contains - Rail Brown/Railroad Tie Brown/Rust
Set# 84070 contains - Aged Concrete/Weathered Black/Roof Brown
Set# 84071 contains - Earth/Mud/Grime

The web Site is www.micromark.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:42 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

The product I use is by Fiebings.

Here is the companies website:

http://www.fiebing.com/Dyes.aspx

A search online will reveal several dealers, you will have to check with them to see if they will ship overseas. Here in Canada I am purchacing it at a retail leather shop called "Moneysworth & Best"

I use the Black and any Brown, diluted with alcohol to a variety of shades.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:23 am 

Hi!
I repeat the previous message went out a topic for my mistake.

"Hi all,
I contact you from Pisa (ITALY)

I am an young grandfather (just 63 years old).
I do not know english language too much, so please, excuse me for my
english.
I have read with interest (with my little English) this topic because a little part of my H0 layout (which I still have to build) runs outside.

What do you recommend to protect from the sun and rain the wood ties?
but, the most important thing, can I keep fast tracks outdoor wood ties? "

faber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:05 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yep! That's the stuff.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
service@fast-tracks.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:57 pm 

I have always mixed paint mediums for varied results. Usually, I will paint with Floquil enamels...and then when fully dry (5-7 days), lightly scrape the surface and follow up with a Polly-S Acrylics. Process works great until I tried it on a fast tracks turnout recently. I use resistance detectors on my tracks, so if there is a short...it immediately is detected. I completely destroyed a turnout...already in place, one tie at a time...trying to find the short. After I gave up on everything...I did a little test. I took a PC tie and filed a gap in the copper. I then attached track wires to each side. So far so good. I then painted the gap with a Floquil pen. Still laughing. Then I followed up with a little Floquil Poly-S and BOOOOM....short circuit. Further, I waited a couple of hours and re-energized the track. Short still existed.

Having said all that...my advice....never use an acrylic paint of any sort on fast tracks PC Board ties. It will drive you nuts trying to find the error. All it takes is a small trace to make life miserable.

Pc

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next