[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Ideas For system Kits offered By Fast Tracks

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:44 pm 

From all the posts I see a few things that stick out.
first you already make the double crossover and I see
many people requesting straight Track so,

1) in your layout system you could offer duel main lines
with pre-set tangent tracks and 24"r and 26"r curves
with the proper spacing for A duel main line.
Have 2- 18" straight sections with a Quarter or a half
circle in the 2 radius or any 2 radius that (with easement
Track sections for each end of the curves) you think
would be the most popular and add your double crossover
to the set with 2 each left hand #4 and 2 each Right
hand #4 switches(you could make the switch number 4,5,6,7,8,9,
optional for each person to decide which he/she would
find they needed) this could be great for starting a small
yard system or a repeatable template for a small layout.

2) You mentioned looking at making a set that would make
a complete small Railroad. I think you would make more
sales producing Layout kits with different components of
your already offered Fast Tracks system.

a) Such as complete circles.
b) sets of 6 to 8 switches.
c) you could offer the Yard system with enough sections
of Track and switches to complete a small yard complete
with basic plans for laying it out and or add a small set of
diagrams with layout options to build to suit.
d) offer quarter,half and full circles with easement sections
e) Don't forget to offer the deluxe system with three to five
complete circles in multiple radius with easements. 6 to 8
of each of your switches. 2 of each crossings and crossovers
and offered in all scales.
f) Don't forget the Duel Gauge & Narrow Gauge systems which
the Duel gauge would amount to only adapters of Standard to
narrow Gauge and Narrow to standard gauge. But a complete
Narrow Gauge layout system offered wouldn't be Bad for all
Scales also.

Now I'll leave room for more additions and Ideas from the rest of the forum
to help you decide what you want to do.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Clearly there is a lot of potential for a large number of different kits and packages. The first step is probably going to be the biggest however. So far we are pushing about 2,000 new product numbers. Out of the gate our new Infinite Track System will include the PlatForms, straight assembly fixtures, curved assembly fixtures, new pre-gapped PC Board crossties, flexible tie strips, and all of the various bits and pieces for all our typical scale offerings including, HO, N, S, O, Z, HOn3, HOn30, Sn2, Sn3, On2, Nn3, On3, HOn2, On30. This of course is in addition to all of the switches that we currently have available.

For curves, here are the radiuses that we are planning on offering initially:

HO
15 18 20 21 22 23 24 26 27 28 30 32 33 34 36 38 40 42 46 48 60

HOn3
16 18 20 22 24 26

HOn30
18 21 22 24 25

N
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 28 30 36

Nn3
9 12 15 18

O
36 42 48 54 60 72

On2
30 42 54

On3
36 40 42 48

On30
12 14 15 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 36

S
24 30 32 36 42 48

Sn2
32 34 36

Sn3
24 26 28 30 32 34 35 36 39

Z
9 10 11 12 13 14 17 20

Each curved track assembly fixture will be cut with three different radiuses. At first we will just arbitrarily select and offer three radius combinations that seem to make the most sense, but over time we will refine what we offer based on feedback and customer demand.

The PlatForms will be offered in each of the above radiuses with pieces available from 1" to 10" lengths at 1" increments. Full circle kits will be available with the the longest practical pieces to make up the circle along with flexible easement pieces. We are also planning on providing what we call "piecing kits", which will include a variety of short and long pieces for both curved and straight track.

Straight Platforms will also be available from 1" to 10" lengths at 1" increments for all scales. And of course PlatForms will be available for all of the switches that we are currently offering.

Initially most of these new components will be available a la carte, but in time we will start to offer a variety of pre-packaged kits based on suggestions and feedback that we receive from customers.

Overall this will be a pretty big step for us, but we are pretty sure we are ready to tackle it as we have spent the past year putting a lot of infrastructure in place to accommodate quite a few more products.

One thing for sure, we are counting on getting lots of feedback from everyone to help us figure out how all of these new parts should be kitted up to provide the best value overall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:37 am 

I think based on your info provide, one way to package a deal would be to say "x number of full curved pieces, x number of partial curved pieces, and the same for straight, with a total of about 12 full and 6 partical for a great package deal of $XXX for the custom selected package. That way you can see what we want, and we would get a package deal savings. The more pieces you pick, the bigger the package, the better the savings.

Just a thought. One week to wait. Now to just wait on my little tower kit to show up on my first order. Then I can say I am a real customer, not just a email viewer.

Best of luck on the roll out. :)

Kurt

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:13 pm 

Back in The early 80's Arbour Models made an HO Track Template kit similar to yours.
Not as elaborate as yours and it was made totally of cardboard interlocking sections.
It is called "Gandydancer" it also was designed for laying out full size layouts. The kit
sold for $15.00 U.S. I own 2 sets and have been using them for years. They are in no
way as accurate or as Detailed as the Fast Tracks System. They were designed for
Atlas and Arbour Switches and Flex Track. It is a very flimsy and inaccurate, I never
could find Switches or crossovers to really match up with the templates. It was and
still is very useful in laying out my basic roadbed and has pretty much every thing
needed for your basic track and cork road bed layout. One kit alone just didn't have
enough pieces to lay out more than one small area at a time.
The Kit included 73 Pieces
4ea #4 right hand turnouts
4ea #4 left hand turnouts
4ea #6 right hand turnouts
4ea #6 left hand Turnouts
4ea #4 Wye turnouts
6ea 24in straight sections
1ea of the following crossings in degrees 12-19-25-30-45-60-and-90
4ea (1/2 full circle of each) 15"r-18"r-20"r-22"r-24"r-26"r-28"r-30"r-32"r- & 34"r
the reason I bought a second set was to be able to lay out complete circles.
Now after almost 30 years of use I have 1 #4 right hand switch most of the
semicircles 7ea of the 24in straights but who knowns where the hell all the switches
went to, I haven't really any Idea!
I think I got Mad that they didn't really match up with any of my switches and then
tossed them in the trash.

So now I'm in definite need of a few Kits or one "BIG" one.
Not knowing you were in the process of making these template kits I have been
gluing the printable track templates to thick card board and then cutting them out
and using them to help in my layout. It will be nice to have a useful & matching set
again not to mention all the money Ill save on Black ink for my printer and paper I
have been using for the switches (one switch a Page).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:43 am 

You do know you can download free track planning software? I admit there's not much option for switches and crossings, but you can lay sectional track as well as flex and add gradients. Not totally 100% accurate, but it gives you a good indication on how the overall design will look and fit in a designated area.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:20 am 

hay jdm_com_au
I've looked at alot of those Track layout kits and the Fast Tracks demo is the first
That really impressed me. The demo said you first use the templates to lay out the
track and road bed. Then use the over cut wheel to draw the clearance area for cutting
out the road bed. I really thought the over cut wheel idea was very cleaver as well as
the flex sections for making the easements as well as other applications. Then The
whole thing is designed around their Fast Tracks switches which will give you the
whole package. I probably wont use the templates for road bed or laying track on
because I have already bought 40 cases of the split and lay cork road bed but, as far
as using them as templates you can bet I'll use their new layout system for years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:17 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:17 pm 

Fast Tracks Fixtures are not made for the novas modeler that only wants to build
2 or 3 switches. Even if your only going to need 10 or less of any one switch the price
can be steep. If thats all your looking for then your better off buying ready made
atlas, Pico, Bachman or Shinohara or any of the many other makers of switch machines.
Now I'm building an HO/HOn3 Duel Gauge railroad and the only quality duel gauge
switches are made by Shinohara and they run about $25.00 to $35.00 ea if you were
able to find them. Right now they are selling on E-Bay for from $50.00 -$100.00 each.
Now Shinohara are nice switches But if your railroad is using DCC and unless you
know how to modify them for DCC they are worthless. They have one other problem
and that is they are not built like the prototype. In fact they are close but they don't
really match any prototype known in America that I have been able to find.
Fast Tracks Do !! they are exactly perfect to scale of 11 known railroads I was
able to find built between 1890 and 1950.
Now I need between 100 and 200 switches Minimum and the duel Gauge #6
fixture comes with a little Bonus in that you can build both narrow gauge #6
left and right switches and #6 standard gauge Left and right switches with the
same fixture as well as the Duel gauge switches they are designed for.
The first 30 duel gauge switches I built cost me $16.50 each every 30 after that
cost me about $6.90 ea because I already own the fixture.
Now you (Wacov) said that they are made on a computer lathe and all you do is push a button.

Just a Guess
Cost of the computer operated lathe $150,000.00 plus
bits $200.00-$400.00 each
life of Bits 3 to 5 fixtures if lucky
computer program $30,000.00 or more
time and expense to build each fixture for us the Model railroaders "PRICELESS"

I have in excess of $400,000.00 invested in Model railroading over 45 years
and $200.00 or $300.00 for a high quality tool is a small price to pay when they
give me state of the art prototype model railroad equipment not to mention
Fast Tracks tools are saving me thousands of dollars.

All I'm really saying if your serious about model railroading buy Fast Tracks
switch building Tools and layout kits. If your building a 4X8 model Railroad have
fun and go to your nearest hobby shop and buy Atlas switch machines at about
$6.00 ea and pick up the book a small railroad that grows. Thats what I started
with 45 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:36 pm 

Maybe waxonwaxov should look at second hand equipment if he/she wants to make a low budget system. I never have a problem spending more on a quality item if I believe it's good value for money. Especially when custom stuff is available for several different rail codes. Trying to find HOn30 stuff in Australia is a challenge. Fast Tracks makes it simple!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 am 

One thing some people forget it that you get what you pay for. The switch jigs are a two for one deal to begin with, in the fact for one price you get both left and right switches. If you start with a crossover, you get the switches, crosing and all for one nice package price.

I have had a module for a steel mill complex with over 35 Shinohara switches on it, and was still limited by what would fit for the size available and adjust my track work to fit what was made.

With Fast Track, you make what you need, not the other way around.

Just my two cents on the cost issue.

Kurt

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:04 am 

That's right Kurt. You offer peanuts, you get monkeys.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:25 am 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:01 am 

WaxonWaxov,

Yes, you can build standard gauge, narrow gauge and dual gauge turnouts in a Fast Tracks dual gauge fixture. I know because I have done it! The only thing missing at the moment is a narrow gauge QuickStick for the narrow gauge turnout built in the dual gauge fixture but it just needs to be added to the product catalogue.

By calling, you can get a 10% on your entire order, which for a #4 and #6 Switch Building Kit will be just over $38.00. Alternatively, you can purchase just a dual gauge fixture but it is only available with a #6 frog angle. You will also need a dual gauge PointForm tool because it has an extra pair of slots to build what we call the "toad" or secondary frog angle found in a dual gauge turnout. The total cost of these 2 items is approximately $179.00 with the discount.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 am 

thanks for the info, Terry

:D :) :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next