Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sliver Solder?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm 

I've heard this is stronger than regular solder.

However, I'm getting conflicting reports that one needs a hotter soldering iron or no, you can use a regular one. (I use a 35 watt iron.)

I'm assuming that silver solder is more expensive and this is not the solder that Fast-Tracks sells?

Can one get it in a small enough diameter?

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Sliver Solder?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:28 pm 

There is a difference between silver solder and silver bearing solder. Both will need more heat than lead-tin solder, but the silver bearing solder is still accomplished with an iron. There are some silver bearing solders that are in a paste form, and these can be very convenient. True silver solder will require flame torch heat and is more closely associated with brazing than soldering.

The 96% tin and 4% silver solder from H&N is solid wire, 1/32" (.79mm) diameter, requires a flux (the H&N "Super Safe" liquid flux is recommended), melts at 460 deg. F (237 deg. C), strong - 5 times more than 60/40 lead/tin solder, and great for RR Track work.

Note the H&N 60/40 lead/tin solder is solid wire, 1/32" (.79mm) diameter, requires a flux (again - use Super Safe liquid flux), melts at 430 deg. F (221 deg. C), and is often the normal solder and is preferred for for electrical work.

The Super Safe liquid flux is organic, water soluble, no resins or strong acids, active 390 - 520 deg. F (198 - 271deg. C), cleans up with hot water, solders Brass, Copper, Nickel, Tin, some Steel, and excellent for all electronics. (This is not liquid rosin flux, nor acid based - but far superior).

See: http://www.ccis.com/home/hn/

-ed-

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject: Re: Sliver Solder?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:27 pm 

if you want a very good solder try Kester "44" Resin Core Solder
alloy Sn63
Core 58
Dia .31 or .24 if you want tiny super thin solder
part # QQ-S-571
W-RA-P2
this is a Silver/Nickel solder that is perfect for the Micro Engineering Rail as well
as the copper PC Ties. It requires a very thin layer of solder for a very strong and
permanent weld and a 25-35 watt Iron works with great results.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]