[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Trouble with Fast Tracks Track Resouce CD

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:40 pm 

(I have two because as you may know, FT provides one with every
order.)

I had one CD open and running last month but now neither will work. I
tried three computers and have the same problem. The CD's will not
open or respond. Have tried various ways to open including, autorun,
run command etc. I also turned off my anti virus software.

All computers use Windows XP and have enough resoures.

Anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, did you find a
solution? Might it be a problem with a latest Microsoft update (%
$#&!) Adobe or a conflict btw the two?

Wow, there is some great stuff on these instructional videos and I
sure would like to get back to it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:21 pm 

You can bypass the auto run feature by just using the "my computer" and opening the cd. Look around for folder called ft-data, it should have all the files you are looking for. You can copy them to your hard drive and then manually select them.

I don't know why the auto run will not work, but you can still use the old fashion manual open method.

Kurt

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:22 pm 

Thanks Kurt but I already tried that too with clicking on the drive on the appropriate drive and also clicking the file you refer to: Still no video.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:28 pm 

On my CD you select the cd and right click to open. Open the folder labeled FT-data, inside you will find a folder called FT-files, inside that one will be another folder called videos. Inside the videos folder are the 6 files for the actual videos. You need to make sure you have the correct software to run the video.

Kurt :)

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:47 pm 

Thanks for your suggestions Kurt but I can't even get as far as opeing the folders you refer to.

Also, in my orignal post you'll see that it worked before so I did have software that worked.

The only thing that changed is Microsoft updates...and perhaps the durability of the CD's?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:12 am 

CD's and DVD's do "wear out" over time. I think it is something to do with the surface breaking down. I read about this a couple of days ago on some website, but I can't recall where. Maybe try a Google search for the reason and a possible fix?

[EDIT] You can "undo" updates for Windows and other programs. Not sure how, but it is possible. One suggestion is to go to:

Start >>
Control Panel >>
Add or remove Programs

Scroll down until you see Windows updates. They are all listed with the dates the update was installed. You could try removing the most recent updates and see how you go. If you're unsure, backup everything first, or get somebody else to do it for you.

I had an issue with my sound card at one time. It wouldn't work after an update. So a friend of mine came around and in a couple of minutes had removed the update and the sound card was working again.

But be carefull.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:25 am 

I might suggest you try one or both of your CD's on a different PC, that way you know weither its the PC or CD. If bad CD, which I can't see both going bad, then Tim or Ron would send you one if you asked. If its the PC, I would seek help with the thing.

Kurt :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:50 pm 

Thanks Kurt and JDM.

Kurt, I already had tried both CD's with three computers...

I just ordered some tools from Fast Tracks so I guess I'll get another CD with the order and try it again. If I still have problems, I think I will try what JDM suggested.
I would think however, if I'm having a conflit with the Microsoft updates, others would be too. That was part of the reason for inquiring here.

I should get my order next week so will keep you all posted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:46 am 

Post subject: Problem Resolved!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:25 am 

I received my latest order and, of course, included was a new video CD.

It works fine! So for some reason the other two I have had for several months (or has it been longer than that?) don't work anymore.

I suppose it might not be a bad idea to store your CD in a plastic case protected from the light. Someone did say that sometimes the dyes etc on some CD's go bad when exposed to light.

Or maybe it is like the old TV series, Mission Impossible--the Fast Tracks CD's self destruct after a period of time? LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:17 am 

If you have a CD burner, it may pay to burn a couple of copies just in case. Which is what I'll be doing, along with storing the files on my PC.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm 

I had the same problem after the web site upgraded. so I did a spyware sweep and found that I had some redirect spys that were tagged with the Fast Tracks first read of the disk. After removing these Trojans I was able to use the disk again. It seems that your bot problem your web site had likes to follow your CDs if your on line with it in use.
A program called Trojan Killer 1.3 that you can down load free from MajorGeeks.com
will rid your computer of this problem and you should be able to use all your disks with no trouble from then on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]