[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - The New Stock Aid Filing Tool

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:35 pm 

Once again I see you have another great tool!
1 Question: While looking at the instructions on how to use the
Stock Aid Filing Tool it shows only one side of the switch.
Does the tool have a reverse side to file the other side and get
the opposite taper and square edge?

Thanks for your Great tools
Dan Kelley

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:06 am 

If you carefully read the linked Users Guide (UG18) for the new Stock Aid tool, it will tell you that you file into the needed corner of the notch in the tool. One side gets filed as a taper down to the square cut end up against the block, you just need to decide which end is tapered and which end is squared. Made clear sense to me when I read it. The new users guide is linked at the bottom of the page showing the specific size tools where four different links are listed. It is also listed in the on-line documents section, look for the title or UG18. Hope this helps with your left or right side questions.

Kurt, can't wait to get mine now. :)

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:00 pm 

I did read it and I read the users guide and it only described and showed one side. From the picture I wasn't sure how it was set up for the right hand rail. I also never saw anything that said it did both sides. Thats why I asked all I required for an answer was YES or NO!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:43 pm 

Hello Tim, and Ron,

Questions for either of you guys.

Great Idea about the stock rail tool (didn't I suggest that a few years ago?) Anyway what I was doing was taping the stock rail to a steel rule on the opposite side. The rule fit in the groove between the rail head and foot. This kept the rail straight while filing the opposite side rail foot off. I always had mixed results on this, so I revised my techique to just filing off the foot and then doing some post construction filing after the turnout skeleton was assembled, worked out Ok (but not as good as I would like) Now that you have this tool available I can see me cranking the turnouts out quicker and more importantly more precisely. (I did order one)
\
Questions for Ron or Tim:

What the heck is a mill file 2nd cut? and whats the difference between it and a standard mill file? Is there anyway to tell by just looking at it, that its a second cut file?

Rob

PS any status on the twist ties for N scale??

I

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:28 pm 

Rob,

A file's teeth can range from rough, coarse and bastard (meaning intermediate) to second-cut, smooth and dead smooth. A single-cut or mill file has one set of parallel teeth, while a cross-cut or double-cut file has a second set at an angle to the first. In Swiss-pattern files the teeth are cut at a shallower angle, and are graded by number, with a number 1 file being coarser than a number 2, etc. Most files have teeth on all faces, but some specialty flat files have teeth only on the face or only on the edge, so that the user can come right up to another edge without damaging the finish on it.

(!empty($user->lang['ATTACHMENT'])) ? $user->lang['ATTACHMENT'] : ucwords(strtolower(str_replace('_', ' ', 'ATTACHMENT'))):
files.jpg
files.jpg [ 8.38 KiB | Viewed 11910 times ]

Relative tooth sizes for smooth, 2nd cut and bastard files.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:31 pm 

Just ordered this filing tool this week and look forward to using it.

Though I did manage to crank out several #6 turnouts using the bench top belt sander method, I had one smack in the head when the belt broke so I really wanted to use a method that would make the work less cumbersome and more accurate, especially where the stock rail base is allowed to return to its proper width when the switch rail diverge away.

I have read through the UG18 pdf and will do as I usually do, read it a few more times before I start with a project. I am really looking forward to getting back to building turnouts (#10 this time) and my first attempt at crossovers.

It has been a long hiatus for me, but now I feel more energized and want the assembly process to start again.

Last edited by sambear on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 am 

How soon can we see video footage on using this new tool? At the least, something on the website would be great.

I learn better by having something showed to me than reading instructions. <G> And Fast Tracks videos are excellent! (I sometimes have a tendency of incorrectly interpreting instructions. Now, that isn't always bad as sometimes we can invent new methods. Just ask my dance instructor. <G>)

So that reminds me: Did you hear about the guy that bought a chain saw up north for the first time and took it out into the woods to try it out? Well, he came back about a week later very frustrated and said it didn't work very well, complaining that the old buzz saw worked better. So the dealer thought perhaps there was something wrong with it and gave him a replacement.

And, about a week later the customer returned it (he and the saw looking a bit wore out) and said this one didn't work any better. He said, "I tried and tried, but it was slow going". The dealer decided to check it out so cranked it up. Rumm! Rmmm! Put! Put! And the customer looked at the chain saw in bewilderment and exclaimed: What's that!?!?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:16 pm 

:P
Thank you all for the quick response and answers. This is one tool I've been waiting for. never did like using that belt sander.

Rob

PS. Thank you too Ed C on the files. seems like I'm never ending the learning stages in this hobby. Something new all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:33 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm 

I would really like to see the Duel Gauge Switch built on film
and the production of a 90,45,30 & 19 degree Duel Gauge crossings.

Also you need to show some photos of your finished Products in an Ad
in Model Railroader Mag, Railroad Model Craftsman, & Narrow Gauge and
short line Gazette. Showing off your Standard and Narrow Gauge as well
as the Duel gauge Hand laid switch Tools and a finished product of each.
right now in the states with the new and fast growing interest in HOn3,Sn3
& On3 with all the new Engines and rolling stock and no body is making or
importing switches for all Narrow gauges and their duel gauge Crossings.
You need to do this a couple months in a row in the fall when people are
headed back indoors because of the cold weather coming as well as the
Christmas season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

We did a bit of advertising in MR and a few other smaller magazines a few years back, but have not done any since. (Except for a few small ads in some small circulation magazines.) So far just word of mouth and internet promotions have been enough to keep us pretty busy. We might start doing a bit of advertising in the future, but it is a very expensive proposition.

But you do make a good point about the increasing popularity of HOn3, Sn3, On3 and other narrow gauges.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:28 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:36 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]