[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Differences in rail dimensions between brands

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:17 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:15 am 

Attachments:
rail_chart.jpg
rail_chart.jpg [ 126.6 KiB | Viewed 26498 times ]

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:32 am 

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:22 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:18 pm 

I am considering the HO #4 code 83 turnout tooling, but am concerned about apparent need to use ME rail. I had planned to build my layout using Walthers-Shinohara (W-S) rail, and according to the chart in the 4/9/08 note, ME rail is 0.006” narrower in head width than W-S rail. This doesn’t sound like much in the absolute sense, but it is nearly a 20% difference, and I’m a bit concerned about the appearance where W-S rail mates with ME rail at a turnout. While I’m not opposed to using ME rail throughout, ME turnouts do not seem to be available in other frog angles I will need, but do not have enough of to justify buying your tooling. So, the question is, will your tooling accept W-S rail?
Thanks,
Tom Reilley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:35 pm 

Tom,

The fixtures when ordered are to be specified as to the rail you choose to use. Some instances will allow for a multi-choice, but the dimensional accuracy is corect for the rail choice design. Standards have an allowance that gives some leeway - but the base width is critical, and using a moderately wider base than designed for the fixture may be impossible.

-ed-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:03 pm 

Ed:
Thank you for the quick reply. Custom machining fixtures for the specific rail to be used will certainly help maintain precision. But I see that all the choices for assembly fixtures specify for ME rail. How does one go about specifying a different rail manufacturer?
Also, it appears that the point forming jig, which is said to be for codes 70, 83, and 100 rail, will also work regardless of rail manufacturer. Please confirm.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:38 pm 

Tom,

I see the new fixture pages are indeed only ME code xx specified. You used to have to do a pull down menu to select your rail for use. You'll need to contact Ron or Tim directly for a custom fixture for a differing rail if actually required. Note that many rail profiles are, while slightly different, still allow for enough allowance of dimensional interchange. Perhaps, they have adjusted their fixtureCAD cutting for greater interchange. Never the less, using ME rail is far supperior to several other brands. You can still match up the turnout rails to a differing flex track (of the same nominal code) with only a modest swipe of a file at the connection.

Yes - the point form and rail form tools are constructed to be rather forgiving in ranges of rails and getting one for the code range you chose will work well with any specific profile.

-ed-

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:55 am 
Site Admin

We can cut the fixtures to work with pretty much any manufacturers rail. There is no extra charge for this. When you order a fixture, simply select the fixture with the closest equivalent Micro Engineering sized rail and during checkout just note in the comments box what rail you would like the fixture cut for.

We have quite a collection of rail that we can use to confirm sizing, but if we don't have a sample of the rail you want to use on hand we may ask you to mail us a couple of short pieces. If that is necessary we will let you know.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]