Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:58 pm 

Just bought a PBL resistance soldering station. Apparently, an instruction manual may not arrive with it. I understand it works the same way as a welder (arc or MIG) in principle.

Nonetheless, how do I use it on the Fast Tracks Jig?

Do I connect the ground to the rail or the aluminium plate? At what setting and for how long do I hold the tweezers to the rail? The wire likely needs to be set under the rail, could I ever use it the way it is used with an iron (touching it to the heated area)?

Any advice would be of great benefit. Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:17 pm 

Sambear,

Clip the ground to the rail. The PC ties do act as insulators - only edges of the copper MAY actual touch the fixture plate. So do a good hard ground to the rail.

Setting will be by trial and error. Use about 30% to begin with - thats about 75 watts. You may need to come on down some.

The tweezers pincher are place on either side of the rail base and also help apply pressure to the rail base onto the PC tie. You should be able to solder within 3-5 seconds - certainly not more. As the flux bubbles off apply the solder and watch just flow. Having the solder pre-placed as thin small strips will be another technique to enjoy with the resistance rig.

Won't take long to work out the settings. But don't hold the power on for very long. If things don't get hot enough - turn up the setting. Remember, you still have to have the parts clean, still want to use the flux, and you'll want to clean the tips of the resistance tweezers as well.

I'd suggest some practice with bits of rail and soldering some wire to the rail before going on to the Fast Tracks fixture.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]