Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:06 pm 

First off let me say that I'm a somewhat experienced user of the fast tracks turnout fixtures. I've built over 30 turnouts including #4s, #5s and #6s. I've even built a few twist-ties turnouts.

I'm a huge fan of these fixtures and tell everyone how great they are.

But for the life of me I can't figure out how to make all the frogs for the 60 degree crossing fixture I just bought!

I bought the fixture and the 60 degree frog point tool, and I can see how to file the rail ends for the rails that meet at 120 degrees, but I don't see how to make the 60 degree ones.

I've read the documents for both the point forming tool (which is more for turnouts) and the crossing document--which is somewhat brief.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Please help! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:47 pm 

jd,

I don't have a crossing point form - but I've built crossings.

The 120 degree joint should be filed at 60 degrees on both sides. That's an equal split of the angle and the two rails fit together fine. This you say you can see fine.

The 60 degree angle is the same file - but - the point here is complete with one rail. The second rail nestles up against the side of the point rail and makes the joint asymmetrically. This is like a prototype bolted frog where the rails are not planed and joined with an equal split angle. When doing this, you have to remove the base on the primary point rail back to allow the second rail to slide back and away from the point and fit the railhead just to the end and at the side. It's like shifting the two 60 degree filing parts to one side to maintain the 60 degree angle rather than putting them together to form the 120 degree angle.

Don't have an immediate picture to post - but I hope this makes sense. I have some regular frogs built this way and the filing for a number 8 was done with a number 4 point form. Once it's soldered and filed - you can't see the joint - I'll do a fitted frog without soldering and take a picture if that will make a difference in understanding.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:44 pm 

Thanks a million Ed! It makes perfect sense to me now.

I knew I was missing something obvious!

I've never built hand laid turnouts before fast tracks, and I guess I'm spoiled with the fantastic point forming tools for the turnouts.

Can't wait to get home from work and try it out.

Thanks again,
James

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]