[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - 3way, no hinge

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3way, no hinge
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:00 pm 

Attachments:
3wayhinge.jpg
3wayhinge.jpg [ 40.75 KiB | Viewed 5344 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:50 pm 

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:30 pm 

Robert,

You may want to experiment with a 'partial' hinged heal and fully hinged point. The following are pictures of a yet uncompleted turnout.

First - I'm using code 75 leadalloy steel rail. This rail is softer than nickel silver.

Second - the stock rails are not notched - I file the point blade for a prototypical fit.

The heal 'hinge' is the rail head and base cut leaving only the rail web inside as the hinging point. This gives a very thin, but still strong rail connection - allows electrical continuity and flex bends very nicely. The flex is so modest, I've never had troubles with this breaking.

Image Image

The point attachment to the tie bar follows Tim's double slip practice and recommendation. Removed the copper cladding. I used a 0.020" brass rod and bent it at a 90 degree to form a spike head. Then filed and fitted the top angled head for a fit to the rail base and web. Drilled a hole in the fiber tie bar, and set in place. Soldered, then filed the excess bump to a nice smooth and flat attachment. The rod will rotate twist in the fiber tie bar. This along with the web only point heal hinge gives a very free moving points setup. The points are HO Proto:87 at 16'-6" (2.27") length.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]