Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:57 am 

Kinda funny how things change. When I started looking into the hobby as an adult after finally having the place to set up a layout I heard the term 'hand laid track' and laughed thinking it was a joke, and who'd be crazy enough to do that?

Call me crazy, it sounds appealing now that I have a plan and want to move forward. I'm N Scale bound, and the Code 80 track looks fake, and the code 55 atlas I looked at didn't impress. Now I'm playing with Peco but not liking it either. Then I'm sitting there, reading the latest MRR and there is that hand laid track again, and I start looking, and I'm pretty hooked on the idea, especially for the turnouts.

However, I'd like to keep my LHS around because they're a good place, do both internet/local business and have a low overhead so prices are competitive with mail order.

He told me he could get anything walthers carry, and I was trying to find the rail so I could buy from him, and then get the rest from fast tracks.

However the walthers catalog is misleading.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/255-17055

The description says Code 55 Micro-Engineering non-weathered rail, however it says it's HO Scale. Anyone know if that's the same rail as sold here? I'd like to give the rail business to my LHS, and if this is the right stuff I'd like to buy this locally, and get the rest from fast tracks.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:13 am 

Trekkie,

Fear not. The Micro Engineering code 55 bulk rail can and is used by N scale modelers doing handlaying. It's not just an HO thing. Many N scale handlaid track is also done with code 40 rail. If you plan on using Fast Tracks fixtures - you order the fixture with specification of the rail code and manufacturer. You need to decide on code 55 or code 40 (or both - but different separate fixtures). While code 40 seems very delicate - many find it much easier to get the fine flangeways with N scale track. It can be very durable when soldered to the PC ties at the turnouts.

When laying on the wooden ties for the regular track, you'll want to prepare the roadbed well - sanding level and gluing the ties. The sand again the tops of the ties to have a good solid and level place to lay the rails. For N scale, with code 40 (and even with code 55), the regular track will need the rails glued with either the Pliobond or the Barge methods. Many of the N_Finescale modelers are using the ultra small etched spikes from the Proto:87 Stores for spiking code 40 rails.

Either way - I'd recommend that you insist on Micro Engineering rails for N scale - their code 55 and code 40 rails have the best and most consistent profiles. Be sure to order the FastTracks fixture for the code rail you chose.

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]