[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - soldering

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: soldering
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:41 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

The trick to getting a feeder soldered to the completed frog is speed. I believe you are soldering to the bottom of the frog (with the turnout turned over) and if the heat is left too long the frog can come unsoldered. Try doing this step with the turnout resting on the fixture (not in the fixture), this will act as a bit of a heat sink and give a bit more time to solder the feeder in place.

If you are still finding this step difficult it is possible to solder the feeder to the PC board tie beside the frog. Bend the exposed piece of wire to a short 90 "hook" and solder it to the top of the PC board tie. When painted and ballasted in place the wire will be almost inviable.

Tim Warris
Fast Tracks
http://www.fast-tracks.net
service@fast-tracks.net

Post subject: frog soldering
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:28 pm 

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will try soldering to the tie. Never made my own turnouts before, so this is all new.

Post subject: Attaching leads
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:47 pm 

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:47 am 

What about using solders with differing melting points? Hotter for constructing the frog, cooler for attaching the feeder? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:37 am 

banjobumps.

I'd not recommend different solder temps in turnout construction. Copper has a very high thermal conductivity. The copper clad on a PC tie is very thin and too high a temperature will unclad the coper bonding. It's not rally necessary, as you want to develop a technique of hot and fast soldering. Besides, the low temp solders are not good for electrical connections.

Pre-tining the PC tie and the rails and the wires make a big help in making the connection fast. If you are attaching the wires while in construction, the fixture keeps the alignments. If you are attaching after installation, the few spikes used and the solidness of the assembly keeps the alignments. I do recommend that the use of spring clamps will act as good heat sinks.

One thing to be careful of, if you are using the acid flux (I don't recommend that - use a liquid safe rosin flux), the electrical connection HAS to have a rosin flux and any acid flux left from the mechanical assembly can ruin the electrical connection latter.

Attachments:
File comment: See the spring gage - use as a heat sink.
Frog_Fit.JPG
Frog_Fit.JPG [ 44.82 KiB | Viewed 15527 times ]

PROTO & FINE Scale Coordinator
I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:28 pm 

Ed:

I have tried to clean up the turnouts with mineral alcohol. I use a toothbrush and essentially clean the total area by brushing the alcohol over the area with the toothbrush.

Is that enough to neutralize the acid in the flux? If not, please inform me. I do not want to make huge mistakes after my soldering is done.

I am poor at using rosin paste. I find it hard to liquidize enough so that I do not glob the stuff all over the place when trying to brush it onto the rail and tie. Also, when the tip carbonizes, how do I clean it? Do I use the towel method as shown in the video?

When soldering, more times than not, I get a blob forming at the base of the wire, with that I make a mess of the solder. Tip cleaning is likely the culprit, but is there a trick to doing the work better?

Thanks,
sambear

Last edited by sambear on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:19 pm 

I estimate I have about 5 pounds of coupler springs somewhere in the vicinity of my workbench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:50 pm 

Last edited by sambear on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:46 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:20 pm 

Having done a military soldering course I'd just like to add a couple of suggestions.

1. I keep my tip clean by wiping it through a damp sponge after every joint.

2. Prior to turning off the iron I wipe it on a block of Sal ammoniac then add a tiny bit of solder to the tip. Sal ammoniac will keep your tip looking like new and allow the solder to flow extremely well.

Hope this helps,

Phill
UP & SP in "N" of course!

Post subject: Re: soldering flux
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:27 pm 

Given that I am using SuperSafe Superior #30 Soft Solder Flux when soldering rail to ties, do I need to neutralize acid?

I have used a mix of 50:1 baking soda to wash the work (with a toothbrush), followed by a rinse of cold water. Now I wonder if this is overkill. If I just wash it in cold water, no soap, will that be enough to prevent any corrosion or shorts at a later time?

Post subject: Re: soldering
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:15 pm 

sambear,

Using the Supersafe flux, you will only need to wash in warm water. It doesn't hurt to use the neutralizer - but its overkill. The Supersafe is not actually an acid, but you do want to rise it off so that you can latter do your cosmetic painting. It's water soluble - so warm water rinse does well with doing the cleaning.

-ed-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:04 am 

Thanks Ed, again you have helped.

That will save a lot of cleansing work and I am glad no acid is in there. Thanks to you SuperSafe was the way to go when I bought it; and though at times it does get sticky, it works very well.

Post subject: Re: soldering
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:39 pm 

If you are recommending use of an acid flux is there a reason the solder Fast Tracks sells is rosin-core rather than solid? I may be showing my ignorance but I thought the rosin core was to provide built-in fluxing; am I wrong? :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next