[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Flux

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Flux
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:17 am 

I had a hard time finding the old Weller blue tin soldering acid based flux shown in the videos. Amazingly the guys at Radio Shack looked at me like I was nuts, but offered no suggestions as to where I might find it.

Ron sent me this link, but I didn't want to wait. I was chomping at the bit to start making turnouts!

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler ... tid=383834

I found out that BernzOmatic's lead free, water soluble flux is a great substitute and it works just as well. The great part is that it's available at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Man, talk about long winded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Hello Raildog,

Thanks for posting that information! Is this an acid based flux?

I am not sure why flux is getting so hard to get. We do plan on adding the Weller flux to our site in the next bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:08 pm 

Yes it is Ron, at least it tastes like it... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:49 pm 

Couldn't help but noticing the information on the photo of the flux container - it says "for use with any LEAD FREE solder". Would this be a problem with the solder recommended/supplied by Fast Tracks?

I have purchased .015 acid core solder and both SP30, SP50 acid paste fluxes from the Mouser Electronic website. All are made by Kester. The solder flows very good. Both the fluxes work excellently, the SP50 is a little more agressive. It is also thicker, so I use a drop of water to thin it with. The SP30 is more like a thick grease and goes on smooth. The solder is about $27/lb. (there is a LOT of feet of solder/lb. in this diameter), and the flux is about $3 per 2 oz container. I have made about 150 HO TO's and can hardly tell there is any gone from the roll of solder.

Mouser part # for the solder - 533-24-6337-6422

littletree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:40 am 

Post subject: Acid based flux
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:04 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]