[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Crossover question

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crossover question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:32 pm 

Post subject: Re: Crossover question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:45 pm 

I have built #8 with one long rail and my fix for supporting is I don't. I just build both halves without the outer rails then do the alignments and outer rails as one step. The hardest part is getting the stock rail cut for the points.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:12 pm 

I eventually built one with the continuous rails. It was a bit of a pain and I went back to the standard way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:54 pm 

They are easy to do with continous stock rails. I cut the stock rails so they will be exactly (or longer than) the length needed for the complete crossover, scribe the base dead center on both pieces, then place one in the fixture. Align the scribe mark precisely with the "center" end of the fixture, mark for the stock rail cut, remove it and place it on the other side of the fixture aligning the scribe mark precisely. Mark the second stock rail cut location. Do the other stock rail marking, cut the 4 places for the points.

I then build the first half of the crossover, including the full length outside rails. Make sure the scribe marks are perfectly aligned with the fixture "center" end. Then build the other half center portion, except for placing the point rails. Then align and support the first half and solder the outside rails in place. Finally, install the point rails. Add the center PC tie as normal after you remove the completed crossover from the fixture. Care must be taken to true-up the ends and de-burr them before soldering the first half to the second half. Fine tune for a perfect fit. A finely adjusted support for the first half while soldering it to the second half is a must.

If you make the stock rails longer than needed they can be trimmed during installation on the layout.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:30 am 

Here are two sample Dbl. Xovers that I built using a solid outer rail (dual gauge) and one with both solid outer and inner (HO Std. Dbl. Xover).
The easiest think to do is set the outer rail and inner rail in position and lightly scribe (exacto knife) the top of the rail flush with the edge of the jig. Turn it over and match the mark to the edge, then cut or mark rail where frog would go and point rail.
It takes a little more time to do it this way, but it creates a more rigid Xover. And you will need a little more elbow room to assemble it. BTW, make sure your shirt sleeves are buttoned or rolled up, otherwise you might bend the extended rails...

Attachments:
File comment: Std. HO Dbl. Xover with both solid inner and outer rails.
Dbl xover -.jpg
Dbl xover -.jpg [ 148.71 KiB | Viewed 6748 times ]
File comment: HO Dual Gauge Dbl. Xover with solid outer rails.
HO Dbl Xover.jpg
HO Dbl Xover.jpg [ 92.36 KiB | Viewed 6748 times ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]