Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: wiring of turnouts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:09 pm 
Hi, were in the document library does it talk about wiring turnouts.

Thanks

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:06 am 
Tim,

While you're about answering the question on how to wire turnouts, please explain how to wire the frogs on crossings. It would seem that the polarity might change depending on which track the train goes through the crossing.

Thanks much

Scott

Post subject: Re: wiring of turnouts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:30 pm 

[quote="Anonymous"]Hi, were in the document library does it talk about wiring turnouts.

I'm not sure it is in the library, but I wire mine by putting a drop to each of the stock rails plus a frog wire from one of the wing rails (frog side of the cut) to the Tortoise points so the frog polarity is switched by the Tortoise. I have also added a small wire from each stock rail under the turnout to the same-side rail coming from the frog just beyond the gap. In other words the straight stock rail is wired to the frog rail on the same side of the diverging route and the same with the curved one, so they get power. I use isolating rail joiners because I'm using block detectors and the frog rails would be dead without those wires. I'm going to stop doing the cut behind the frog in the future and then I won't need the extra wires to power the frog rails as everything from the wing rail cut on will be power switched by the Tortoise.

Jim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]