[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fast Tracks • View topic - Where to find an accurate belt sander.

Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:39 pm 
I recently bought a Delta benchtop mini disk/belt sander from Micromart (item number 82218). The belt is not perfectly straight so I am unable to get a straight notch in the stock rails. Can someone please tell me where I can find a better grade belt sander. Thanks. Bill H.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:46 pm 
I use a 1" Belsaw sander I bought 15 years ago for woodworking. It works about as good as any out there that are meant to be used free-hand. I just get it close then use a jewelers file to finish the square end with. Takes a less than minute and fits good. Since I use the small file to de-burr the sanded area anyway it is not much extra to do. I don't believe there would be a free-hand belt sander available that would allow you to get perfectly square corners on that small of an object repeatedly.

Post subject: BELT SANDERS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:28 am 
I HEAR YOU, but apparently thats whats available. I usually just take off the foot of the rail, and dress it under magnification with a file.

rob

Post subject: belt sander...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:24 am 
Hi guys,

I use the same Delta belt/disk sander. It's not great by any stretch, but with practice I've been able to grind all my turnout parts pretty successfully.

I have homemade milled aluminum fixtures for points and frog rails, which are used to grind these parts using the disk part of the sander. I freehand cutting the notches in the stock rails using the belt. Other than squaring up the ends of the rails, that's all I use the belt part of the sander for.

In short, it is all technique... It isn't a very well made sander so you need to try different things and practice to make it work for you.

JeffB

Post subject: Belt Sander
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 pm 

I use a Harbor Freight 2485-0VGA ($29 on sale) belt-only sander. It uses the same belts as the Delta 31-050 and is roughly the same quality. I only remove the foot of the rail with it and use a file to square up the corner. All other stock removal is done with the jig and a file. Yeah, it's cheap, but it works fine. It gives me more cash for important stuff, like more jigs.

Jim

Post subject: Belt Sander
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:05 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]