Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:11 pm 
I examined a Atlas code 55 verses the equivelant Micro engineering issue. It appear under magnification that the Atlas rail has a superior cross section, thinner head, (looking from the top and the sides) thinner web on the bottom and top, and the base appears to be the same width.

I'm venturing that either rail can be used in the fast track jigs, although I have not tried this yet, (I soon will) there might be a few adjustments in gauge because of the finer profile of Atlas's code 55. Not a big issue with handlaying.

Unfortunately, Atlas doesn't stock raw rail for N scale. (something about regulations on imports) but it can be cannabilized from their flex track.

On the appearance issue, its far superior in that when looking down at the track the thinner head gives the impression of finer rail, (which is one of the reasons we are doing this in the first place) The comparision is most noticable when both manufacturers rail are in vacinity to each other. The other consideration is the Atlas rail head has a slightly rounded shape (aka like the prototype) which may improve running characteristics.

Of course if you are too zealous in your sanding you'll defeat this by flattening the rail top. So rail cleaning should be done with mineral spirits or turps.

Just another info post.

Rob de rebel
Prototrack

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]