Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: When to paint.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:10 pm 

Assembling turnouts and straight and curved main lines. Assuming I'm using individual ties and not quick sticks.

1) Should I glue the turnout to the ties first or should I glue the ties to the roadbed first and then glue the turnout to the ties? In either case, do I paint the turnout after it is secured to the ties or once the fabrication has been completed. In option 2 above (glue to ties that are glued), it may be some time before the turnout is in place.

2) For regular track, should I paint it once it comes out of the jig or wait till it is glued to the ties on the roadbed?

Thanks from a newb.

Post subject: Re: When to paint.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:56 pm 

I'm still waiting for my first jig to arrive, so this may be way off base. But...

I looked at the video on the home page. There, about minute 6, someone is using a spray can of...something from someone (would love to know both). They're spraying the rails, ties...everything, then cleaning the top surface of the rails. While initially shocked, to be honest it looks pretty good once completed.

Given the availability of 2mm PC ties, I'm thinking it makes sense to use a straight TieBreaker to lay out ties, tape across the top, and move that assembly to the layout. If curved, scribe a curve first. Every sixth tie would be a PC tie. All unpainted.

Then when the ties are glued and firm, solder the rail in somewhat the old-fashioned way...lay one rail, then do the other with rail guides, just like the spikers would do.

If done this way, the ties and rail would be painted in-place, prior to ballasting. The track is also in the same state/condition as the turnout in the video, so it's consistent.

I suggest this only because I'm thinking I won't want perfect circles. Easements come to mind, but little, authentic jukes and jives and sweeping arcs aren't unheard of and give the track a very interesting appearance. Nothing major, of course, but even a slight curve deviation means you can't use the perfect jigs. This is most akin to using flex track, or so it seems to me.

Like I said, I'm a newb too. What may seem like an awesome idea could also be completely crap. But I hazard a guess it'll actually work out pretty well if I'm careful with curve scribing and rail gauge.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]