Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:09 am 

I'm wondering whether I should use a smaller gauge of rail for my guard rails. I'm wondering because I saw a bridge being constructed awhile ago (it was HO gauge) and they used N scale track for guard rails.

In my case I'm using N scale code 55 ME rail for my turnouts. It would be easy enough to use code 40 for the guard rails. But, when I look at proto photos, they seem to using the same code of rail.

Then, I guess my question would be, when I'm doing a bridge, should I be using smaller code rail for the guard rails for it (in other words, is a bridge a special case)?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:49 am 

"code" is about rail height and you guardrail should be the same height as your running rail

Everybody can shovel, firing is an art

Firing this train was more fun then hard labor :-) © R. de Water

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:39 pm 

In the case of a set of bridge guard rails the usage of a smaller rail is not a problem as the idea there is to keep the car on the bridge in the event of a derailment so that the forward momentum of the train could carry the car across the bridge and onto solid ground rather than having it fall off the bridge and into whatever waterway the bridge is crossing or into the bridge side structure thereby damaging the bridge requiring repair or replacement before it can be used again. Guard rails in turnouts or diamond crossings must be the same size as the adjacent running rail to reduce the chances that a derailment could occur as the result of the wheel flange picking or catching on the rail opening they are guarding.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]