Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Costs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:40 pm 

Admittedly I wagged the number of ties. I don't have a piece of flex track here to count.

But I wouldn't despair over N vs. HO. How far is 36" in prototype for both? If we ran the same distance for HO, I bet the cost would be roughly equivalent. I'm not going to do the math. Don't wanna know.

Having just completed my first turnout, I can say I'd never go back to store-bought track. This is way too good looking, and it works like a demon. Not a hiccup running trucks over the frog or points. Pure art. :)

Post subject: Re: Costs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:53 am 

Yes, I suppose that cost per "scale foot" would be lower for N. Thanks for that.

When I built my first few turnouts I really liked them but there was sooooo much I didn't know. After using them with a whole bunch of different engines and rolling stock, began to learn about the differences in wheel gauge in what manufacturers shipped and the difference in what happens with body mount versus truck mint couplers. Also what happens on curves into and it of turnouts and changes in track elevation.

I use the NMRA gauge more now. Making sure that there is the appropriate flange distance around the point area and that the frog point is far enough back that it won't get picked even with wheels that are gauge a bit fatter (but still in spec). Also making sure that there is enough room at the entrance to the point rail so that slightly narrowly gauged wheels still work properly.

I find that manufacturers like to configure their locos with the wheel gauge as narrow as possible (but still stay in spec or really close) which helps them to negotiate tighter corners BUT can cause issues on turnouts. So, I take extra time in building turnouts to make sure they are in spec and there is enough clearance (for example, I put a taper on my guard rails, similar to the ones on wing rails - this helps with things like low trip pins or a truck that is almost derailed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2