Fast Tracks

Model Railroading Discussion Forums

Return To The Fast Tracks Website

The Fast Tracks discussion forums have been closed. Click Here for more information.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crossover #7 rails?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:42 pm 

The #7 rail I'm referring to is the one on page 2 of the crossover guide. I prefer to avoid rail gaps when I can, and I'm nervous about relying on a small number of solder joints for mechanical strength. Once the wooden ties are on that's less of an issue, but...

Offhand I'm not seeing any reason why I can't run the #7 rail continuously (without a gap). Obviously need to take some care about filing away the space for the points first, and then find something that the first-half assembly can sit on to match the fixture heights will building the second half, but that doesn't seem insurmountable.

I'm going to build my first one "by the book", but am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:26 pm 

Hmm. Now that I'm building my first crossover, I'm especially interested in this answer, because there doesn't appear to be any registration mark for cutting the #7 Rail properly on the N-scale #6 crossover fixture. I see where to make the cut, but you might want to note the issue.

Post subject: Re: Crossover #7 rails?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:33 pm 

If you are talking about single or double crossovers you can extend the outermost rail across the center joint to help strengthen the connection between halfs.

Its mentioned in the book and my #8 HO crossover has the marks on outside rail showing the length and place to adjust overlap.

SP was king of the road, Cotten Belt will run forever! D&RGW will rule the hills!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]